It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:16 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Use the Swarth!?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:18 pm 

Should I just leave the swarth on my stones to aid in future refinement?

Post subject: Re: Use the Swarth!?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:53 pm 
Forum Moderator

Are you using natural or synthetic stones? For naturals, less swarf usually means cleaner edge. For naturals, it depends on the stone, quarry, layer,....

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:32 pm 

No, its a one time thing and will not interact properly with a different blade. The mud/swarf evolves with the sharpening so its use is specific to the blade being sharpened at that time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:56 am 
Forum Moderator

For synthetic I usually don't bother. For naturals it depends., Like Jason mentions the mud refines itself so if you want to take advantage of the initial coarseness, start off with fresh slurry and rinse it off. But if you want to start with a well developed mud, go ahead and use the developed mud, continuing to develop it.

An odd exception to this general rule was when I was using a natural stone on a Spyderco mule made of solid Aogami super steel. It seemed to cut very poorly, yet I knew this stone worked well with a kitchen knife using Aogami super, so I developed the mud with the kitchen knife and then used this kitchen knife mud on the solid Aogami super knife. The result was excellent cutting action. So it seems the soft cladding swarf in the slurry from the kitchen knife helped in the abrasion process for the solid Aogami super knife. Odd, isn't it?

Another issue is rust. If you leave the mud on the stone for a longer period of time, the metal swarf in the mud will rust and discolor the swarf requiring a bit more stone cleanup the next time you use it and I wouldn't recommend using rusty mud (might work, but I didn't try it) Iron oxide is sometimes used for some sword polishing techniques, but that's off topic.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:39 pm 
Forum Moderator

Not all natural stones have slurry that refines though. Coticules spring to mind. What stone are we talking about here?

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sorry Michiel. I keep forgetting about Coticules and Arkansas stones and even naturals from China and Israel. My admitted bias. I was just referring to Japanese Naturals.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:36 am 
Forum Moderator

I know you forget about us from time to time Ken :p No biggie.

I assume the OP asked about Japanese naturals though. FWIW I used a Nakayama Maruka a few months ago and I felt sad when I had to give it back to its owner. There is just something about naturals.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:54 am 
Forum Moderator

I do have to add some coticules to my 'kit'. It's an area I need to know more about - and some of the other Euro naturals too.

Marukas are hard to give up - but Marukei's are even harder to let go of :) I have three of these (a Nakayama, a Shoubudani and an uchigumori and get to look at them but have never had the chance to use them. Enough to drive one crazy (or crazier in my case).

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah I know, however finding a Marukei in the wild is about as rare as it gets.

You'd like a Coticule. There is the one I sent you and is lost in the mail. Maybe one day it will pop up. You never know.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 am 

When I originally posted, I had been using a Shapton Glass 2k and a Snow White. The knife was rather well scratched and left a lot of darkness on the Shapton. At theat pont I thought maybe it would make the stones last longer if I didn't rinse it as often.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next