It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:27 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 3 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Top Japanese Knives
PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

It's like we're a tag team....

What Taz said.

I'll add that with diamonds...especially the really coarse DMT plates...you can rip out carbides. The diamonds grab onto the carbide because they're very jagged and rip them out leaving an unrefined edge.

The Atoma plates are supposedly far superior and much better for Japanese knives....but they're so expensive you could just buy nice waterstones.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:11 pm 

"DMT plates remove metal VERY quickly, but can tend to leave very deep scratches, especially when new."

Thank you! That effectively rules out the DMT approach. I do not wish to risk that type of potential impact. We often pursue top end purchases, however we likewise place great emphasis on our possessions lasting a long time with proper maintenance and overall care. I expect that our two (maybe three) Japanese knives will last us 20 years given that they will only be used by the two of us - in our home kitchen.

I don't expect our knife edge(s) to fall off that far before my wife will take to the stones. Therefore, I could envision a three stone system: 1K, 4K, 8K. Thoughts?

I am not yet clear on stropping. I have seen several videos using leather, but I haven't really had the time to explore its merits. I was thinking that an 8K stone would achieve the type of final effects one would accomplish with stropping thus making it redundant. Yes? No?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:16 pm 

for the home a 400-500, 1k, 5k stone set up will be best.

and then strop on newspaper

=D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Latte 400 is an awesome 400 grit stone. Much less scratchy then the Bester 500, leaves a much smoother finish, but still works very quickly. I have a Bester 1200 and Rika 5K I really like, but the Nubatama line is getting great reviews as well!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:55 pm 

Most appreciated! I will begin to create a list of suggested stones and grits.

I anticipate a steep learning curve is now in play, but it will certainly be rewarding as I slowly progress beyond my intro level. I was imagining that buying one brand of wetstones would make the most sense unlike knives where you can buy/collect/use a range of designs from different artisans. Perhaps that is not the case. Visually, I think we might enjoy the consistency of one wetstone brand whereas we'd be very comfortable with any combination of knives too meet our identified needs/use. We have collected Japanese teabowls for years, and that collection's visual beauty is elevated by the wide range of visual attributes associated with the different ceramicists.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:57 pm 

mixing and matching different stones and knives is part of the never ending search for the ultimate edge =D

Page 3 of 3 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3