It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:20 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Some stone and knife reviews!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:00 pm 
Forum Moderator

I got a box from Mark on Tues and have been playing since :)

Latte 400; I second Shauns video review, really nice stone but doesn't feel coarse like the Bester 500 sometimes does. Even leaves a nice kasumi finish on clad knives. Works really quickly to set a bevel as well.

Naniwa Aotoshi 2000 Green Brick of Joy. This sucker is huge!! It feels very creamy and leaves a very polished finish on the edge. I tried the Kasumi finish with it and it worked OK, but I didn't spend enough time and work my way up. I think if I got all of the really deep scratches out, it would work pretty well. Leaves a nice toothy edge. I actually jumped from the Latte 400 to the 2000 Naniwa and it worked pretty well! Stone is pretty soft, so I gouged it a few times getting used to it since I'm used to harder stones like Besters and J Nats.

I actually jumped from the Latte 400 to the Naniwa Aotoshi and it gave a really nice, toothy edge. May be my combo for touch ups for when I gotta break down deer.

Tanaka 210mm KU Blue #2. I posted choil pics in the Photo's section. Cuts well, takes a really nice edge. Nice convex grind and stupidly thin behind the edge. I noticed some friction on potatoes from the sand blasted Kasumi finish, but I have not tried it since I smoothed out the Kasumi on the latte 400 and naniwa. It feels smoother when drying it with a paper towel and no major dips or grinding boo boo's were noticed. F&F is better blade wise than the other KU Tanaka knives, and just below the Sekiso (small burr on the choil). Cheap handle on it, which was expected since I plan on rehandling it anyway. I wanted a carbon Wa 210mm and this works well. Potatoes, onions, mushrooms, peppers, steak was all fairly easy to cut with the factory edge, which was so so. I sharpened it up quickly and it takes a very nice edge!

Tojiro ITK 240mm Kiritsuke. Choil pics are in the photo section. convex grind, very thin behind the edge. With being longer and heavier, the weight alone is enough to go thru some foods. White steel takes a very nice edge and the edge OOTB was better than the Tanaka. Handle is a touch nicer than the Tanaka and I did the same Latte 400 and Naniwa on the Kasumi finish to smooth out the bead blasting, no major grinding errors or issues were seen. The cladding seems to be a bit tougher than the Tanaka cladding; the scratches seemed to be harder to remove, but it could also be because it's longer or deeper scratches. I really like the almost flat edge and it was kinda like a big Nakiri :)

Richmond Addict 2. Handle F&F is excellent, spine and choil were eased much better than the Tanaka and ITK. Much thinner blade and wider blade overall means less convexing. Grinds were well done. I prefer the edge to be a bit thinner and convexed to be more like the Japanese grinds, so I took it to my belt sander and worked it a bit and sharpened. Stupidly sharp now, I would consider the knife a Laser! The Addict profile with the long flat spot has been growing on me; this profile works great on slicing larger veggies like Cabbage, lettuce, big onions, etc.

All in all, these 3 carbon knives are a blast to use!! The Addict 2 seemed to be the least reactive, followed by the Tanaka and the ITK was the most reactive out of the 3. All take a really nice edge and are thin behind the edge to cut well.

Post subject: Re: Some stone and knife reviews!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:14 pm 
Forum Moderator

Great review, I concur with all of what was said. :D

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Tried some better choil shots inside. The snow on the ground makes the choil shots outside difficult.

ITK K tip Gyuto:

Tanaka 210mm KU Gyuto:

Richmond 52100 Addict 2, after the thinning and convex. I did the right handle side with a little steeper convexing to see if it helps with food release and did the left side of the blade with a slower taper.

Lovin the Rotary Platen :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:52 pm 

<> Taz

Is the itk kiritsuke asymmetric? Was thinking of picking up one of the custom ones with the ebony handle but I'm lefty so I'm concerned about the grind and bevel.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:12 am 
Forum Moderator

It's 50/50 ground from what I can tell. In the pic, you can see that there is a different grind line on the right hand side of the choil; it was done to slightly round/break that corner where your finger goes, so the pics sometime look like it's asymmetric, even though it's not.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:24 am 
Forum Moderator

I did some cutting (cabbage, onions, mushrooms and sausage) after smoothing out the bevels on the 2 KU knives. Much smoother in the cut now :) The Addict 2 was even nicer after it was thinned out at the edge, but the more polished sides and taller profile gave it a bit more friction; it was even squeaking going thru the cabbage, but cut smoothly thru.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

I did some playing with the Latte 400, Bester 500, Amakusa 1000, Synthetic Aoto, Naniwa Aotoshi and a King 800 trying to get a good Kasumi finish. The Latte 400 and King 800 was the best progression, but I will try the Synthetic Aoto after the King 800 finish next time to see how it is.

Softer and Muddy stones worked the best for the Kasumi. The harder Aotoshi polished at a MUCH higher level than the Synthetic Blue, but the Synthetic Blue Aoto gave a much nicer looking Kasumi finish. The Amakusa J nat around 1000 had a nice contrast, too, but I was looking for more of the dark/light contrast. The King 800 left a nice finish; I may leave it there and call it good.

Latte 400, King 800 Progression:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:21 am 
Forum Moderator

If you are looking for a mid grit stone in a natural that gives a very smooth high contrast Kasumi finish, check out the Tajima natural stone. I've got to do a video of this one as it is still a largely undiscovered stone! Somewhat soft, a bit harder than a medium hardness natural aoto, but not as hard as say a Hakka (which is still pretty soft). Muddier than an Igarashi or Binsui by far. Think of a finer grit Amakusa by comparison. Mark has a few small ones on his site and I have one large one for sale (and another broken one that I use for myself). The small ones fit nicely in a standard stone holder FYI.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:23 am 
Forum Moderator

If you are looking for a mid grit stone in a natural that gives a very smooth high contrast Kasumi finish, check out the Tajima natural stone. I've got to do a video of this one as it is still a largely undiscovered stone! Somewhat soft, a bit harder than a medium hardness natural aoto, but not as hard as say a Hakka (which is still pretty soft). Muddier than an Igarashi or Binsui by far. Think of a finer grit Amakusa by comparison. Mark has a few small ones on his site and I have one large one for sale (and another broken one that I use for myself). The small ones fit nicely in a standard stone holder FYI.

Nicely done sharpening job!!

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:23 am 

definitely getting that latte =D

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next