It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:27 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Fujiwara or Tojiro?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi There-

I've been researching knives on and off for the past few months, and have finally narrowed down my search - I'm a bit particular :)

I cook almost every night and most lunches too. 90% of what I cut are vegetables, as my fiancee is a vegetarian. Right now I use a cheapo Santoku from a knife block set I got as a gift way back in college. The set also has a ~9.5 inch super heavy chef's knife that I only use for heavy duty jobs due to it's extreme weight. I have evolved to mainly cut in a chopping fashion with a pinch grip.

In my initial searching I was set on a Santoku-style since that is what I was used to, but after reading through 'An Edge in the Kitchen" by Chad Ward, I started looking at Gyotus and like their blade profile.

I know that I prefer nimbleness and lightness over heft, so the thinner blades of Japanese knives also appeal to me. I do like the MAC MTH-80 that Kitchen and Cuttlery supply on University Ave sells, but I'm just not ready to spend that kind of money on a knife. The less expensive MACs just didn't feel as good after holding the MTH-80 either.

I started researching the Tojiro DP from a recommendation in the book and found many people also liked the Fujiwara FKM. When I came across your site and forum, it was a great help, but also made me torn between the two!

I was excited when I found out you are a local small business. since I like to shop local when I can, but for Japanese knives, that's a hard thing to do.

Based on your forum comments and videos, you seem to prefer the Fujiwara. I do like that it has a bit softer blade, which I believe would be more forgiving to abuse. But then again, the harder VG-10 in the Tojiro is nice to have down the line.

I plan on also purchasing wetstones to sharpen with, but I have heard mixed reviews on using a ceramic or steel rod with japanese 70/30 blades to keep the edge in check.

At any rate, I'd love to hear what you think, and if possible, be able to handle each of the knives before buying one over the other.

Thanks for any help you can give, and sorry for the long email, but I couldn't find a phone number on your site to call. :)

-Ryan

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Fujiwara or Tojiro?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:58 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Ryan,

As you most likely saw in my video on those pages I like these two knives very much. I slightly prefer the Tojiro but if I put the knife in front of 10 people I'll bet half would prefer the Fujiwara. I think the Fujiwara has a slightly better profile and grind and I slightly prefer the Tojiro's VG-10 steel. Handles are basically a push and I don't give much weight to them anyway.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Both are nice entry level Japanese Knives. I prefer the steel in the Fujiwara over the Vg-10 (I am biased, I don't like VG-10 for a few reasons!!) in the Tojiro and the Fujiwara's tend to be a bit thinner, which I like. For stones, Bester 1200 and Rika 5K will work great on both of those blades and the Idahone Ceramic rod can be used to maintain the knives, but I prefer to touch up on a fine stone like the Rika instead.

Another knife to consider would be the Artifex series. They are a little different styling without the metal bolster, but perform very well at around the same price point.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:07 pm 

taz575 wrote:I prefer the steel in the Fujiwara over the Vg-10 (I am biased, I don't like VG-10 for a few reasons!!) in the Tojiro and the Fujiwara's tend to be a bit thinner, which I like.

I'm interested in what you don't like about the VG-10? Would love to hear your thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

I very slightly prefer the Fujiwara, but not by much.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

From the VG-10 blades I have played with, sharpened and used, VG-10 can be a pain to deburr for many people and the edge holding isn't all that great IMHO. The sharp edge goes away quickly, but it doesn't really plateau with a good edge, when the sharp edge goes away, it feels kinda blah cutting with it. Hattori is supposed to have excellent HT with VG-10 and it performs much better than many other brands, but I haven't play with many Hattori's. Others find it's chippy when taken to lower angles, too. With other stainless steels out there like AEB-L, CPM 154, S35VN, etc, I would rather pay a little extra for a better grade of stainless steel. I prefer carbon over SS any day of the week, and the stainless steels I use, I want them to be very fine grain and take an edge almost like carbon steel.

I've done a few Fujiwara's for friends in the SS and carbon and they held up very well. I have a 150mm SS Fujiwara petty to a friend over the summer and he still hasn't had to sharpen it fully yet and he uses it constantly. Even though the SS in Fujiwara's is softer, it seems to take a finer edge and hold it very well, too. F&F on the Fujiwara handles is better than the Tojiro's, but the Tojiro's have a more polished blade, but the Fujiwara's are thinner and a bit better shaping and grind geometry. The Tojiro's I have played with feel clunky and thick due to being cladded blades.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:29 pm 

The sharp edge goes away quickly, but it doesn't really plateau with a good edge, when the sharp edge goes away, it feels kinda blah cutting with it. - I agree with this very much. super blah, really! but my tojiro stays sharp longer than my yoshihiro which are both vg10.

the yoshihiro needs quite a bit of touching up more frequently. but the touch ups are quite minor and then it needs to get sharpened after 2-3 touch ups. i haven't had the need to sharpen my tojiro after 2-3 touch ups.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:06 am 

ive sharpened many different vg10 knives and i actually like tojiros more than most. i guess depending on ones sharpening experience it may seem difficult but it didnt really bother me. the edge retention may be more middle of the road compared with other stainless but it blows my carbons out of the water. i definitely recommend tojiro dp as a fine entry japanese knife, and i havent used a knife priced as low as tojiros that can compete with them.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

I too, like the Tojiro VG-10, but the DP line's cladding makes them a little thick feeling. Great for a workhorse knife or someone just getting into J-knives as Labor o' Love just stated.

But I see you say that you said it blows your carbons out of the water? Did you mis-type that? :geek: What kind of carbons do you own? :ugeek:

I've only sharpened one stainless Fujiwara, but quite a few of the carbon ones, and I am a fan of the carbon ones big-time. A little reactive at first, but good stuff.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:49 pm 

the edge retention of vg10 is much better than the average carbon steel ive used and/or owned. hitachi steels mostly and misono swede, masamoto hc etc etc

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next