It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:41 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening my old Forschner knives
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:48 pm 

I have been learning a lot from this website and forum. I am learning to sharpen on water stones and have a good idea on how I want to sharpen my Japanese knives. What I want to know is if sharpening strategy needs to be different on my old western knives with softer steel which are mostly Forschner knives. 20 degrees rather than 15 degrees? Do I leave the burr on the knife and just keep it straight with my steel or should I remove it? Should I stop after the 1200 grit stone or keep going to my 5000 grit stone? Any other advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Sharpening my old Forschner knives
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:06 pm 

i say experiment with whatever angle that your knife can handle then if 15 is too steep then put on a micro bevel of 20 degrees and see if it's gonna stay sharp longer at that angle. most softer steel knives won't benefit beyond a 2k stone. so you can stop at the 1200 and just strop on the 5k a few times, like 5-10 on each side and call it good.

always remove the burr, with whatever manner you can.

=D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:49 pm 

I sharpen my Victorinox knives at 20* to 3k and deburr. I'd probablly stop at 2k but I don't have one yet. Sometimes I stop after my 1k and strop on my 5k. Stopping at 1200 and stropping on the 5k will be just fine. A ceramic rod like the Idahone works great for honing and touch ups on the soft steel between sharpenings.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:50 pm 

Thanks for the replies. I just got the Idahone. Should I retire my steel? It is grooved with very fine grooves.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:54 pm 

My Forschner currently has around a 20-degree edge with a 1K finish. . I leave the 1K finish now because I think it's fun to have a really toothy edge in the stable -- a really good 1K edge can be screaming sharp.

I used to take always take it to 6K and don't remember having any problems, so I'd say play with it. Definitely do something to deburr. For maintenance I usually strop on leather just to realign the edge (it does have a tendency to roll slightly), sometimes balsa with 1 micron CBN.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:02 pm 

Plumber wrote:Thanks for the replies. I just got the Idahone. Should I retire my steel? It is grooved with very fine grooves.
I would retire it. If you have an Idahone you have no need for it. You will love the performance of the Idahone compared to the steel.
It also works well in helping in the deburring process.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]