It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:12 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Shapton Glass Stone questions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:52 am 

1. Will the Universal Stone Holder hold the Shapton Glass Stones securely, and will it hold up to all the water? I'd prefer to use the Shapton holder if I got their stones, but it's expensive and perhaps exclusive to the Shaptons?

2. I keep thinking I can bypass the Edge Pro and do manual sharpening, though my freehand experience is limited. I just started reading about the Shaptons; how do they compare to the Choseras?

Thanks for any feedback.

Post subject: Re: Shapton Glass Stone questions
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:04 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, the universal stone holder will hold the Shapton GlassStones

I found, albeit minorly, the Chocera's a bit nicer through the grit range. I'm a feedback guy and I felt the Chocera's had better feedback.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:39 pm 

Hi there, as usual I agree with Adam. I use both Shapton Glass and Chosera stones every day, they both deliver and are equally effective in my opinion. However the sensation of running the edge of the knife over the Chosera is somewhat different than the Shaptons. The 1K Chosera in particular is an absolute joy to work with, it feels like velvet. The Shaptons are very hard but very good.
I love them both equally, however I like the feel of my Chosera stones better.

Don't get too hung up on stone brands, Mark sells many different, great quality stones but if these are the ones on your radar, whichever you choose will make you happy. While you do not NEED these particular brands of stones to get the job done, they are so good that using them will build layers of confidence, that in turn will motivate you and keep you going.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:20 pm 

Thanks! That certainly puts things in perspective.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:50 am 
Forum Moderator

Yes the GlassStones fit just fine in a regular stoneholder. The GlassStones are harder stones than the Choceras. The Choceras are softer and many like them because they are more forgiving for a freehand sharpener. I like them both and they can be successfully mixed. So you can go to a 4k GS and then switch to a 10k Chocera and it will tend to 'correct' variances in the 4k edge. If you are more precise, you can go from a 10k Chocera edge to a more precise 16k GS. The GS give you flatter 'flat grinds' and the softer Choceras give you a bit less acute slightly convex grinds. What you prefer is largely a matter of personal taste and what you wish to accomplish.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:17 pm 

I like the Shapton's splash-and-go, but honestly don't know which way I'll jump yet. The Shaptons, Choseras and Edge Pro all look good to me at the moment. If I go manual, the stones I'm considering are 400, 1K and 5K. The Choseras hit those marks and the Shaptons bracket them, so from everything I've read it's a decent starting-off point. I'd get a 600 and maybe a 1K stone to go with the Apex.

FYI, I have a MAC Pro Mighty and Wusthof Classic chefs, the RollSharp and Wusthof pull-through sharpeners, a DMT DuoSharp course/fine stone and DMT Super Fine steel, and an Idahone. I don't mind using the DMT on the Wussie but believe it preferable to use something else for the MAC. I'd like to get a Konosuke HD chefs, too (curse you, Tony Bourdain :)). Anyway, those are my current and intended victims.

I think I've stepped into it, haven't I?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:34 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yes, yes you have :D

As far as 5k stones go, I don't like the 5k. it's a meager improvement over the 3k Chosera and doesn't polish the way I expect a 5k should. I would suggest a 5k Shapton, Nubatama Bamboo or the Rika (haven't tried it myself, but gets really good reviews)

The 1k Chosera is a absolute delight and perhaps my favorite stone of all time.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:08 pm 

Michiel, yes I am with you on the 1K Chosera. However, I also have the 5K and I enjoy that as well. I was able to pick it up here in Canada so avoided extra costs, if I could have picked up the Shapton here, I would have.

Another stone that I think you would love is the Imanishi 4k, it is very similar to the 1k Chosera in feedback, it feels fantastic and leaves a very nice polish. In fact the Imanishi 4k and 8k are my favourites after the 1k chosera. ( Have yet to try Nubatama or Rika though)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

I can pick up Chosera here and would still pay more than what I pay in the US. Hopefully that will change one day.

How fast do the Imanishi stones dish?

Sorry to go OT..

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:36 pm 

I'm learning lots. Much appreciated. Keep it going.

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next