It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:48 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tojiro, Dojo or Maruyoshi Nakiri
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:02 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

My name is Carson Conner, and I would love a bit of advice on which direction to go for a proper starter knife. I've done weeks of research on Japanese knives and the metallurgy that goes into each type. What I've come to is I want a knife with a Carbon Steel Core surrounded by stainless to help protect the blade since this will be my first carbon steel knife.

My uses are strictly personal, so at home cooking for usually 6-8 people. We go through a LOT of veggies, and not much meat cutting is done. I've determined a Nakiri would be best to suit my needs, since I've had a Santoku (rather than a Chef's knife) as my go-to ever since I started cooking.

Main question is, which is my best bet for a first: Between the Tojiro DP, DP Damascus, Dojo, and Maruyoshi. I know the Tojiro is not a Carbon Steel Core, but that's where I started my search. Also, are any of these knives handmade? For the price, I'm presuming they're not. Sorry for the short novel I've written you, but I appreciate any feedback you're willing to give.

Thank you,

Carson

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Tojiro, Dojo or Maruyoshi Nakiri
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Carson,

Tell me a couple things first.

Are you right handed?
How much did you want to spend? It looks like between 1-200.
Do you prefer western handles?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:46 pm 
Forum Moderator

Awaiting a reply to Mark's questions, I'll add a few things:

The only knife in that list with a carbon steel core is the Dojo.

It, the Dojo, is also the one I'd suggest from that list. Good value knife and by no means a slouch. It will not be as nice fit & finish wise as the others, but the blade performance will be better IMHO. It's very much a utilitarian knife, but at that it excels.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:48 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ooops, wanted to add:

Now, if you can swing it, this will be better than all of those you listed:

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdna18.html

It's not a carbon knife, it's a semi-stainless steel that is really nice. That knife will also likely have flawless fit & finish.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:47 pm 

Hello Mark,

I'm right-handed. I've only ever used Western, but the Wa style appears to lend itself better to the pinch-grip than western. So I'm willing to try it out. As I stated earlier, I'd like to buy my first non-stainless steel knife. Ideally budget is $150 and below.

I've been on another forum recently, (Kitchen Knife Forums) and everyone seems to be of the same mind in recommending I start with a Gyuto.

Thus far, I'm seriously considering: Fujiwara Carbon Gyuto, Tojiro Shirogami ITK, Miyabi Kaizen, and Hiromoto Gyuto(A bit over-budget)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:09 pm 

As a follow up. Great option brought up to me recently instead of Tojiro.

Fujiwara Carbon
http://japanesechefsknife.com/FKHSeries.html
Fujiwara Stainless
http://japanesechefsknife.com/FKMSeries ... T:%20236px

I know this is quite a bit of info. Sorry for the overload. It being my first knife, I don't want to be foolish or over-zealous but there are a tremendous number of choices.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:37 pm 

Also, .hanks for all the input Adam. Every little bit helps!! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:54 pm 

Then, there's always the option of just going with a HIromoto 240mm Aogami Super Steel for another $80, but having a killer knife.

Sorry... I have a bit of free time at work.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:35 am 
Forum Moderator

The Tetsuhiro Nakiri or the Tanaka Damascus Nakiri would work well for Nakiri's. Other people love to push people away from the Nakiri and towards the gyuto as a more all around knife. This is especially common amongst professional cooks who may have to do 8 hours a prep work and having a longer knife with a tip on it is more useful. I have found that to hold true especially with KKF; they have little love for the Nakiri because many are professional chefs, same with the Santoku. The Artifex nakiri is made in AEB-L steel, but it's a stainless knife that sharpens similar to carbon and takes an edge very similar to the carbon knives. Out of the three you list, I would go with the Dojo; I have some Dojo's and like them.

As a home cook, I love my Nakiri's; I have 3 currently! If you want a Nakiri, I would get one! The gyuto is a more useful shape, but if you are doing mostly veggies, and not fine tip work there is nothing wrong with a Nakiri. I've even sliced down steaks and trimmed them down fat wise with my Nakiri.

Good gyuto's, there are lot of them out there. Fujiwara, Artifex series, Tojiro's all make good stuff for a first Japanese/Japanese style knife. Personally, I don't like VG-10 steel, but many people do like it. I prefer AEB-L to Vg10, so I try to look for a knife with that core steel if I need something stainless at a reasonable cost.

If you want something that will work well for veggies and as a gyuto, look at the Tojiro ITK Kiritsuke. I just got one in and it performs very well on veggies and slicing meats and stuff. Get that and get a nicer handle for it and you should be all set!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:32 pm 

I hadn't stumbled upon the Artifex series. They look great, and for an incredible price.

Thanks for the input

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next