It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:49 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Sharpening a new Tojiro.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:14 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I'm considering buying the 210 mm Tojiro DP chef's knife, and I wanted to know more about proper sharpening for it. I've been using a DMT extra extra fine (8000 mesh) to touch up my old farberware, and it seems like it works pretty well. However, I'm worried that the harder steel in the tojiro would chip if I tried using the diamond stone to sharpen it.

I've also heard that you should not steel japanese knives (once again because of the harder steel in these knives), so would you just touch up on a higher grit stone from time to time? Would the DMT be acceptable in the short term (in order for me to spread out the cost of new purchases), or would that end up just eating the edge?

If it turns out that that is not recommended, I do have my eye on a couple of waterstones, but I'd like to know whether I can just stick with my existing set up for a little while without ruining my nice new knife.

Thanks!

-Travis

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Sharpening a new Tojiro.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

There are few hard and fast rules about sharpening. If it works it's valid. My guess is your plate will work and I seriously doubt you would damage the edge in any way so why don't you try it. It's not what most of us use but I've sharpened on DMT plates before and they work. My only question is that the plate might be a little too fine to remove enough metal to be effective.

If you're interested in getting a couple stones that would be ideal. Try a 1K and 4-6 K stones to start. I like Shapton Glass stones for new waterstone sharpeners since they're easy.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

I know of several people who use the DMT plates on knives with harder steel than the DP's....you'll be fine.

But, yeah....if that's the only plate you have, then I would recommen either adding to that with another plate, or with a waterstone. Something in the 1,000 grit (JIS) is recommended.

If you like to use a rod to hone, pick up the Idahone ceramic rod. It will work with the Tojiro just fine.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:03 am 
Forum Moderator

The DMT extra extra fine (8000 mesh) seems to work like a ~5k stone with a bit harsher scratch pattern than one might expect. A 5k 'stone finish' is considerably more polished. Some have reported that this plate holds up, but that has not been my experience.

Since you have it, I wouldn't be concerned with chipping as this is really more of an issue or at least a topic, with coarser diamonds.

I suspect that you will probably add to your set in the coarser range first (below the diamond plate you have) Above it consider an 8k waterstone. Below it a 3k stone.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:31 pm 

These are a great add on and you won't out grow them. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/sh2pcstset.html

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]