It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Wa gyuto for home cook.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:49 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark and Susan,

I'm looking to get a new wa-gyuto for my home kitchen, and I was wondering if you could give me some recommendations.

I'm looking for a general purpose knife to replace a very old and very cheap chef's knife that I got out of college; it will be my first real knife, but I've been cooking enough now that the old blade is becoming a liability. I like the 240mm gyutos I've played with, and something around 170g feels like a comfortable weight. I take pretty good care of my gear, but I think I would be more comfortable with a stainless/semi-stainless blade than a high carbon blade to start off with. I actually found a Kikuichi TKC in town that I really liked, but the western handle and full bolster were a little uncomfortable for me (I've gotten pretty used to a cheap knife which, of course, doesn't have a bolster), and some of the octagonal wa handles I've tried felt really nice.

So in summary, I'm looking for a 240mm, stainless/semi-stainless wa-gyuto for around $150-$200 for general use in a home kitchen. Do you have any recommendations, or thoughts you could share with me? I would really appreciate any advice you have.

Thank you,
-djh

(PS: From what research I've done so far, something like the Sugimoto Wa-Gyuto, or Takauki Grand Chef or Damascus Gyutos seemed like a good fit for what I'm looking for. I'd love to hear your thoughts.)

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Wa gyuto for home cook.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

Here are a couple I like that fit your budget.

Gokos are excellent hand made blades. The handle is just ok but the blade is really good:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokogyuto240mm.html

Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef is a good knife in this price range. AEB-L steel is excellent stuff and these knives are tall and thin. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/wagyuto.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:08 am 
Site Admin

Wow, thanks for the quick response! I hadn't even seen the Goko, but it looks like it could be a great balance between ease of maintenance and performance for me.

I had one question about the Sakai Takayuki Grand Chef if you have a moment. I noticed Sakai Takayuki also makes this: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satadagy240.html which looks like a very similar knife clad in Damascus. Could you give me your thoughts on how the two Takayuki knives compare? I'm really excited to pull the trigger on a new blade tomorrow, and I really appreciate you time.

Thanks again,
-djh

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:09 am 
Site Admin

Yes that knife is another good one. It's comparable to the Grand Chef but not as tall. Nicer looking too. I tend to prefer tall gyutos.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:46 pm 

Thank you so much! I think I'm going to go with the Takayuki Grand Chef; the Goko looks very nice, but for right now I'd probably get more use out of a knife with a solid blade and a better handle (by the time I could appreciate the Goko's blade I will probably be in the market for an upgrade anyway).

Thank you again for all of your help; I'll put in for one of these right away, and sit at home in excitement until it arrives!

Cheers,
-djh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:57 pm 

You will be happy with the Grand Chef. I just got one a couple weeks ago and love it.

Mark is spot on, AEB-L is awesome and the tall profile of the blade is definitely desirable (especially for someone with big hands like me).

The fit and finish is also nice. The handle is of much better quality than others in the same price range, in my humble opinion.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]