It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:06 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suisin Inox Honyaki
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:15 pm 

I've had my 210 petty now for about 6 months and am struggling to keep a sharp edge for more than a few days. I only ever use this knife for precision cuts on cooked proteins and soft vegetables which makes this all the more baffling to me. I have no issues putting an edge on any of my other knives (both carbon and stainless) and getting through a work week with a screaming sharp blade.

Long story short, this blade receives the least amount of abuse and yet struggles the most to make it through the work week. Here's my routine (1K, 4k, 8k on Shapton GS, stropping BC on balsa, leather). I'm not sure what the angle is exactly, but my edge is about 1mm wide. Maybe too steep? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Suisin Inox Honyaki
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:53 am 
Forum Moderator

Firstly, what other steels are you comparing it to for not making it through the week like they do?

If the other knife steels are of "better" quality, then it is normal - if not.......????

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:58 am 

I am curious to hear more about this as I just received my 180mm of the same.

Real Money Fantasy Leagues

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:50 am 

The other stainless knife I use is a UX10, which is my workhorse. It basically gets all the crap jobs yet seems to survive the week a little better. I don't know, it's not really something that's quantifiable for me. I just feel like the Suisin, given what I use it for, should be holding up better than it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yep it is strange, as the Suisin steel is somewhat better than the UX10.

Try swopping duties between the UX10 & Suisin for a week & see what happens - work with each knife exactly as you did before - you might be surprised.....

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Suisin Honyaki petty's are extremely thin knives, perhaps the edge you're putting on it is too delicate for the tasks you're putting them through.

I have a 210mm Suisin Inox Honyaki petty that I use at home regularly that's not been sharpened in a months and it's still very sharp so I know the steel is capable of retaining a good edge.

Otherwise, a burr can be the culprit.

Only other thing is a flaw in the HT which I highly doubt.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:13 am 
Forum Moderator

301 <> Could be as you suggest... too steep. Do you feel the edge rolled or is it just dulled?

Regardless, it sounds like you keep doing the same thing over looking for different results. Why not try backing out a few degrees on your sharpening angle to see what that yields?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:01 am 

Thanks to everyone for all the input. I'm gonna try backing off the angle a bit. I remember when I first got the knife, one of the first things I noticed was that the edge was a lot more obtuse than I anticipated, which makes sense considering how thin it is.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]