It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:59 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Suggestions for adding to my stone set.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,
I am new to sharpening and have been following your videos. I have the King stone (250/1000 grit) as a starter and wanted to get some stones that leave a near mirror finish for my kitchen knives.

Can you give me a little insight on how the shapton glass stones compared to the Bester stones? I am lazy, so the splash and go sounds ideal for the price. what are some pros and cons between the 2 brands? What do you suggest?

Thanks,
Jesse

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for adding to my stone set.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jesse,

Try adding some shapton glass stones to your 2 stones. I would suggest a 2K, 4K and 8K. That will give you a near mirror finish. The shaptons are quick and easy to use and they're consistent and will give you a good finish on your edges.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:16 pm 
Forum Moderator

Shapton glass stones cut much faster than any bester (or any other stone for that matter) I've tried and are splash and go. they are thinner stones, but I haven't really gotton close to wearing one out.
8k glass will give you a nice mirror. What knives are you sharpening?

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

I found that the Shapton Glass stones didn't have as good of feedback as I like when sharpening. Otherwise, they peformed great. Yes, they do cut fast.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:59 pm 

Hey Guys, thanks for your input.

I was planning on skipping the 2K stone and getting 4k and 8k... and more down the road. Since I have a 1k, a 2k didn't seem necessary from what I gather on all other post on this forum. I know i'll probably just have to work longer on the 4k.

I went with the commercialized knives and ended with Shun classic, Shun Ken Onion, Shun Kramer, Miyabi Morimoto Fushion, and Miyabi Birchwood. All VG10 or SG2, rockwell 60-66. I haven't made the jump to sharpen these yet until i can get a little better, I just hone for now. I've been practicing on my knives from Ross and seem to be getting better results although I need to be more consistent with keeping the angle.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]