It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:53 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best stones to bring to work?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:50 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the information Mark. Would the magnetic knife holders you sell fit both the petty and ITK bread knife? I'm assuming those are as good at protecting the knife blades as a saya would be?

I'm also looking at getting the 1k and 5k Shapton Pro stones. I'd like something I can put in my knife bag and carry to work and have the convenience of splash and go, especially since they already have a carrying case that doubles as a holder too. I'm wondering though how important the deburring block and magnifying loupe is. For a novice sharpener, is it good to have a magnifying loupe to look at the bevel to make sure it's even? How easy would it be to repair a knife tip or sharpen a really dull knife (i.e. one that can't cut paper or has knicks in the edge, etc) starting with a 1k stone? Would it be better to start with a lower grit, say either the Beston 500 or Shapton Pro 320? If it would be better to start with a lower grit stone, which of those two stone would you recommend or would you recommend some other low grit stone? I don't mind the lower grit stone being a soaker since I doubt I'd do edge or tip repair at work.

Thanks again for the help.

John

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Best stones to bring to work?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:00 pm 
Site Admin

Hi John,

Yes the magnetic knife holders will work on the bread knife.

I actually think the Shapton Glass stones are better for taking to work. They're slimmer, splash and go and weigh less. You can easily use a damp dish towel on a counter top to hold the stone in place.
The Pro stone boxes are seemingly attractive but they are made out of plastic and they tend to break and are a little bulky compared to the glass stones.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:03 pm 
Site Admin

For the low grit stone to use at home there are a number of good ones. My current favorite is the Latte 400 followed by the Beston 500. They both are quick cutters and are nice and consistent.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:30 pm 

As a newbe, the loupe and deburring block are much more helpful than I thought they'd be. I'd rather have them than not.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]