It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:48 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: What do you use for maintenance stropping
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:10 am 

What strop and stropping compound do you use for maintenance stropping? I am about to buy a HA stropping kit.

I was thinking of a balsa strop in order not to round the edge. But I wondered whether a hard leather strop (like horse butt?) wouldn't work better.

And as a stropping compound I was thinking of 1 micron HA diamond spray. I normally sharpen my kitchen knives up to Chosera 10K or even Shapton 15K. Do you guys think this micron size would work well for maintenance stropping? And is there a major difference between diamond spray and CBN spray?

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: What do you use for maintenance stropping
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:32 am 
Forum Moderator

I use 1µ Boron carbide for touch ups and 4µ CBN if I need something more serious.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:53 am 

Thanks. Do you use a balsa strop or leather? And why?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:32 pm 
Forum Moderator

Forget the diamond sprays - go for the 1µ HA BC!!!

Read these from the "Gurus"...

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/bocapa1mi.html

It is all I use for maintenance stropping, but would really like it if it was available in a 2µ flavor.......come on Mark/Keith??????

:)

PS: My diamond & CBN sprays are developing mildew.......

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

I prefer to use my Naniwa 10k SuperStone. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:33 am 
Forum Moderator

Mark, if you are using a 10k stone or 15k stone, you are using a 1.75 micron or 1 micron particle stone, respectively. So if you are stropping, presumably for a finer edge, consider a 0.75 micron CBN or 24k grit. I use this routinely for touchups as it is both quick and provides a nice very sharp aggressive edge. From there you can jump to a finer compound like .25 or even .125 micron CBN.

I do have to make a minor correction from my endorsement I wrote on the page MR referenced. Cubic boron nitride is the second hardest compound next to diamond, NOT Boron Carbide. Both CBN and diamond are harder than vanadium carbide, followed by boron carbide, chromium oxide, silicon carbide and aluminum oxide. And CBN is available as a 2 micron CBN product, FWIW. I otherwise stand by my review, FWIW.

There are a large number (majority) of users who use both CBN, mono and poly diamond for maintenance stropping and are happy with these results. I'm certainly one of them. We all have our preferences, including just stropping on a fine grit stone. All are acceptable.

My preference for a strop here is Kangaroo as it offers excellent draw characteristics, even without compound. At 0.75 microns, it isn't critical and nanocloth balsa paper or other leather is also acceptable.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:16 am 
Forum Moderator

The reason I prefer BC is that it leaves the better balanced toothy edge over all the other sprays - again I understand that it is user applicable & what works for me might not please another.

Value for money it cannot be beat though.

:)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

mark76 wrote:Thanks. Do you use a balsa strop or leather? And why?

I tend to use horse leather for knives, Balsa or hard rolled horse butt leather for razors

I like the feedback of leather more, but the balsa gives a more crisp edge on razors because it doesn't have much give.

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

MARK76 <> I have just recently been introduced to balsa & leather strops, and have concurrently been floored by their efficacy. I preface with that because although I have been sharpening knives for two decades, being recently introduced to these stropping mediums leaves me with little experience in different stropping compounds. I purchased the two balsa set ($85) you're deliberating between & for strictly maintenance, I have been overjoyed with the 1 micron balsa & then finishing on a cordovan leather bench strop. I can't speak on Chromium vs Alumina vs Boron vs Iron vs Diamond, but I can say that as it's your first time on the strop... when its back in stock, you'll be ecstatic from the results you'll get from the $90 kit (horse butt & 1 micron balsa).

>> FYI <<
GRIT : Microns
100 : 165
120 : 125
220 : 74
400 : 45
600 : 30
1000 : 20
1200 : 15
1800 : 9
3000 : 6
8000 : 3
16000 : 1
30000 : 0.5
160000 : 0.1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:08 am 
Forum Moderator

I use 1 micron Boron Carbide on Balsa for stropping usually. I tried a 1 micron diamond paste and didn't like it as much. I prefer the toothier edge rather than a polished edge for kitchen knives and I finish sharpening on high grit J nats, so the BC works well and is close to my finest stone.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]