It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:16 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fernandez 230 mm gyuto REVIEW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:00 am 
Forum Moderator

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

Post subject: Re: Fernandez 230 mm gyuto REVIEW
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:30 am 

Great review Shaun, lots of detail. I'm liking these video reviews!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

Thanks Jeff. Yes, admittedly, it was your requests for tutorial videos, coupled with watching too much Hickok45 on Youtube, that finally led me to try these kinds of videos. I'm trying to get better with each one, just keep letting me know what I should improve on and I'll do my best to fix it. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:22 am 

Very good review. Hooked me, Mark is sending me one on Monday. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Nice! Let me know what you think please! Most of the handles are over-sized, I did some of them a little thinner, but let me know how it feels to you.... heck if you take a picture I can probably figure out which knife it was. lol

BUT, if the handle is a little big for you, please send it to me for some thinning free of charge. I'd rather have a handle that's big enough rather than be too small.. it seems like lots of chefs are asking for bigger handles these days, so I figured to give it a try. :) The knife does come with free sharpen and repair. (within reason, if it requires a welder you're on your own!!! LOL )

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:35 pm 
Forum Moderator

I'm with Shaun; I prefer larger handles on most knives! That was the first thing I noticed in the videos; the handles were nice and large!!! I find the larger handles fill the hand better and give more control.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:57 am 

Knife Fanatic wrote:Thanks Jeff. Yes, admittedly, it was your requests for tutorial videos, coupled with watching too much Hickok45 on Youtube, that finally led me to try these kinds of videos. I'm trying to get better with each one, just keep letting me know what I should improve on and I'll do my best to fix it. :)

Who would have ever thought that I would have had any influence amongst the greats around here! I must say that the best thing about these videos is the natural unscripted way you present them. Nothing to fix that I can see.
Keep'em coming!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:54 pm 

Knife Fanatic wrote:Nice! Let me know what you think please! Most of the handles are over-sized, I did some of them a little thinner, but let me know how it feels to you.... heck if you take a picture I can probably figure out which knife it was. lol

BUT, if the handle is a little big for you, please send it to me for some thinning free of charge. I'd rather have a handle that's big enough rather than be too small.. it seems like lots of chefs are asking for bigger handles these days, so I figured to give it a try. :) The knife does come with free sharpen and repair. (within reason, if it requires a welder you're on your own!!! LOL )

I'm quite excited about getting your knife. I had actually ordered one of the custom handled Artifex 210s, I have a 210 already and thought I'd sell it. Then I was looking at your video and a thought hit me. Maybe Mark will be kind enough to substitute the knife for me since it hasn't shipped yet. I'll be able to keep the 210 I already have and also have an awesome knife that will fit in my lineup. ;) Mark and his crew are pretty awesome, he took my change of mind in stride and replied that he'd take care of it for me.

I like the little bit larger handle as I am a big guy and have good sized hands myself. I'm sure that down the line I'll still swap out my 210 for one of Tims custom handels models. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:25 am 

I have to agree Shaun. The video's are much better with relevant information. And being unscripted makes them real. Just be yourself like you always do. I don't see anything to fix. Also, I received my Fernandez 230mm Gyuto today. Man am I stoked. It's banging like a bowl of grits on
Sunday morning. LOL! I may send it back to you for some thinning of the handle since my hands are smaller. But, I haven't decided if I can part with it just yet. After all I just got it. I have a lot of slicing and dicing to do before I think about that. Also, I got a Richmond Artifex for Christmas that is amazing. I will be sending it out to Tim Johnson as soon as I can part with it. Anyway, thanks again to you and Mark for all your work and effort.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:32 am 

What size is that butcher block your using?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]