It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:09 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Edge Pro Question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:40 am 

Hi. Does the collar work on the Edge Pro Professional model???

Thanks much.

Post subject: Re: Edge Pro Question
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:36 am 
Forum Moderator

Here you go:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:45 am 

Hello, MadRookie. Thanks much. I'm a little challenged with this kind of stuff, but I think I can get it figured out. Gonna write down step 1, step 2, etc. I wonder if he does the same thing with the finishing tapes (2000, and up). Do you think he sets the collar with the tape or with the last actual sharpening stone.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:40 am 
Forum Moderator

Hi Raibeaux:

....hehehe.......the "he" you are referring to is actually me - the video was made by myself.... :)

The collar must be set with each stone or tape as you progress as not one of them will be exact equal thickness to the previous one - even with the 1x6 EP Atoma plates I find a slight difference between grits.

:)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:30 pm 

Hi. My EP will be here in a few days. Maybe enough time to think of a good excuse for my wife for buying it! Right now, a problem I'm forseeing is having trouble using my left hand, but hopefully I'll get used to it. Another problem is I haven't come up with a sufficiently intelligent excuse yet. Thanks for the video.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:51 am 
Forum Moderator

The weaker hand will quickly grasp with practice - in the beginning it does feel awkward, but improves rapidly with time.

...excuse....you can either stay at home & sharpen knives or go out and sit in the pub & get slammed - her call.....

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:11 pm 

Hmm. Did we ever run around together???

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:16 pm 

Stop collar is great time saver on both models. I prefer MR's method of setting up the drill stop with the final stone rather than the first stone.
A lot of my buddies spend more on food and drink in a month than I paid for my Pro model. Having said that, my wife doesn't have to see "every" bill I get. I don't keep track of her shoes and pocketbooks either. There are far worse and more extravagant vices than keeping knives exquisitely sharp. Now that I'm thinking about it , she probably doesn't need to know exactly how much my naves cost either. Glad I have paypal :D. Have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:43 am 

Mrmnms...
My wife keeps the checkbook. So I keep the credit cards.
Fair arrangement, don't you think???

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:21 pm 

Raibeaux wrote:Hi. My EP will be here in a few days. Maybe enough time to think of a good excuse for my wife for buying it! Right now, a problem I'm forseeing is having trouble using my left hand, but hopefully I'll get used to it. Another problem is I haven't come up with a sufficiently intelligent excuse yet. Thanks for the video.

I might have had a problem with different hands as in using more force (pressure) with my right hand because I'm right handed. After using the EP for a while I noticed a trend that the bevel on the side of the blade that I use my right hand to stroke the stone with got wider faster than the opposite side. My son was the first to think I may be using more force with my right hand without being aware of it. Taking this into consideration I focused on it for a while. At some point I forgot about it and the bevels just seem to be created evenly. Did my focus result in habitual "pressure memory" with each hand? I don't know.

I hadn't thought about this for over a year (maybe two) until you mentioned having problems with your left hand. Thought I'd mention it in case you see this happening.

Tell your wife what I told mine. "It's my money and I'll do what I want!" Gotta go. I'm on my friend's computer because I don't live at home anymore. :lol:

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next