It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:59 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Budget Apex with Shapton Glass Stones
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I'm interested in the EdgePro Apex system, but with the Shapton glass stones. Is there a way to put together a custom package that does not include the stock edgepro stones? ie, can I get a small discount on the Apex 1 system if you hold on to the 220 and 400 stones, perhaps they can be sold separately to someone looking for replacement stones?

Thank you for your time.

- Konstantin

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Budget Apex with Shapton Glass Stones
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

We sell the Edge Pro Essential set that takes out the edge pro stones and puts in the Glass stones in their place along with a few key accessories.

Kind Regards,
Mark Richmond
Chefknivestogo

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:39 pm 
Site Admin

Mark,

Feel free to answer this Monday, I feel bad bugging you on a Saturday.

The edgepro essentials kit looks great, but I was originally thinking of doing the 220/320 diamond plate, 1k and 4k glass stones. Mine are just kitchen knives in VG steel and pocket knives in 154 CM and M4 steels. My next knife will likely be some other exotic steel pocket folder.

I'm not looking for a mirror finish on my knives, which is why I was looking at the lower grit stones. The diamond plate was going to double for re-profiling and leveling the 1k and 4k shapton glass stones. I was also going to pick up the idahone ceramic home in 1200grit for use as a steel.

1. Is the 4k finish too rough for kitchen use? Do I want the 6k?
2. Can the D6CX plate for the edgepro be used a leveling plate for the glass stones?
3. Will the 1200 grit Idahone be a backward step from the 4k or 6k glass stone?

Thank you for your help.
- Konstantin

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:42 pm 
Site Admin

You won't get a mirror slippery edge on your knives with a 6K stone. If you want the 4K instead you can drop me a note in the comments section when you check out and I'll switch the 6K for the 4K. If it were me I would keep it as is.

Yes that small DMT plate can be used for flattening.

The 1200 grit idahone is slightly less fine than the 4K stone so I would not use it after sharpening but you certainly could use it for touch ups between sharpening sessions.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:14 pm 

OP here.

The Idahone purchase was more or less unrelated to the EP purchase. My current steel is a grooved one that came with a cheaper Chicago Cutlery set I bought many years ago. As I purchased better knives over the years, I keep using this steel, but fear it's doing less and less as the HRC rating on my current knives is most likely significantly higher than what that steel was intended for. So I'm not planning to use the Idahone as part of the sharpening workflow, but as a touch-up tool every few days/daily, depending on how much work the knives do in a particular week. My old knives will surely need it daily, but the VG steel ones might go a few days before seeing the hone.

In my mind, a diamond plate IS an essential part of the EP purchase. I expect to incorporate a stone-leveling step at the end of each sharpening session to keep the stones leveled. Here, I am not sure if XXC diamond plate is the appropriate tool for leveling the 500, 1k and 6k Shapton glass stones. ie, is XXC too coarse for the 6k stone?

On choosing a fine stone, I don't mean to doubt Mark's experience, but I fear that most people that buy the EP are after a finely polished cutting edge, whereas I am only looking for a way to make and keep my knives sharp enough for kitchen work and for EDC (in case of my pocket knives). The 1k to 6k jump seems to be a big one, but that may be due to my lack of experience with the Shapton glass stones. I wish there was a picture showing an edge finished with the various grits.

I'll read some more of the forum posts and try to educate myself a little better on this topic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:01 am 
Site Admin

Depending on what kind of edge you want you can do all kinds of different variations with good results. Using a tight progression will ensure you polish out the edge and remove all the scratches and this will give you a surgical/ slippery edge that some people like. But I've done 600/8K as a progression with really good results. This gives you a refined toothy edge that I think is really good for kitchen knives. When I first learned I got some lessons from Murray Carter and his go to combination was 1K/6K and he's a pretty good sharpener.

The idahone is good for touch ups but I typically strop my knives with leather and boron carbide. Both work well.

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:04 am 
Site Admin

On the flattener I use the xxc on all my stones up to 10K. Scratches imparted on the stone don't transfer to the edge.

Richmond Laser

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]