It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:25 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Carbon Gyuto under $200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I need a bit of advice in buying my first 240 mm gyuto knife. I have used Japanese knives now for about seven years. I currently own Mac and Tojiro DP santokus, a Mac Nakiri, a Mac parer, and a Shun classic 8" chef in addition to a handful of high carbon Sabatiers that I consider to be knock-around blades.

Of the knives I have been most pleased with the Macs. The Tojiro is new, and I have not used it enough yet to know how well I like it. My least favorite of the knives is the Shun classic. When I received it it was improperly ground and the edge at the heel was concave so that it could not fully contact the cutting board. After correcting that with my belt grinder (72" flexible, low rpm) and 1k/6k waterstones, I found that the edge was sharp, but didn't have the retention that I had hoped for. Additionally, I have come to realize that I do not care for its edge profile since rocking requires me to lift it so far off the board.

So, this brings me to you. My initial reading suggested that I should buy the Tojiro DP 240 mm gyuto. However, further research is leading to other possibilities. I think that I am ready to try out a high carbon steel blade. However, with so many options I don't know where to go. I looked at your Richmond addict blades in 52100 and cpm154. But I've also looked at some others that you suggested for people in both white and blue steel. Can you help a guy out? I'd like to stay under $200. And, frankly, I'd like to maybe push the budget a little higher if I could get a good quality carbon Gyuto and petty together. What do you suggest?

A bit of info:

I am an avid home cook, pretty good at sharpening, have no preference between wa and western handles, prefer a flatter edge profile (belly?), and would prefer 240mm. Also, I don't want any steels that will require more or different sharpening gear than what I mentioned above.

Best regards,

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Carbon Gyuto under $200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:56 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Jeff,

I'm guessing you're right handed?
I'm guessing you don't care what type of handle but do you have a preference between Japanese and western?
You're way ahead of the game since you know how to sharpen.

I like the Tojiro and if you wanted to add a carbon steel knife I would looke at something that had a wa handle and was hand made. How about the goko?
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/gokogyuto240mm.html

I'm really impressed with these knives and I think it would be fun for you to use.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:36 am 

Thanks for the Goko recommendation, Mark. I should have been clearer in my message. I'm not necessarily looking for a stainless blade and have been interested in a carbon steel knife. Would you still recommend the clad white #1 steel or are there others you'd recommend?

Also, I'm right handed and have no handle preference.

Best,

Jeff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:55 am 
Forum Moderator

I have an Addict 2 in 52100 incoming, as well as the Kurouchi Blue #2 Tanaka gyuto this week. I have a Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Blue #2 240mm and love it; it's been my go to knife since August now! The Goko looks nice as well. Lots of good choices out there with carbon blades!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:55 pm 

The two blades I'd considered were the Addict in 52100 and the Takaka Damascus in blue #2. How do those steels and blades compared to one another and also to the Goko? Every blade I've ever owned was stainless or nearly so. What I've read about the carbon blades and their performance benefits has me leaning that direction.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:55 pm 

*Tanaka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Addict 2 I have here in CPM 154 already; it's a very thin, tall blade, lightweight. It's got a long flat spot towards the heel. 52100 is a very fine grained carbon steel and I would imagine it will take the wickedly sharp carbon edge I prefer, but the CPM 154 may take a slightly steeper angle and hold the edge a bit longer, but will be harder to sharpen. CPM 154 is a very fine grained steel, almost like carbon.

The Tanaka Sekiso is a great blade. It has a D shaped handle on it, buffalo horn ferrule and Ho or magnolia wood for the rear part. The blade is a bit thicker at the spine than the Addict 2 and there is less of a flat spot; it has more of a gently curve to the blade. The blade is crazy thin behind the edge with an excellent convex grind. It is a layered damascus blade and the layers are able to be felt, so food doesn't stick much to the blade compared to the Addict 2. I put my Addict 2 and the Tanaka Sekiso head to head on sweet potatoes; the Tanaka won hands down. The Addict 2 did well, but the convexing of the Tanaka helped a lot. Regular potatoes, onions, mushrooms, peppers, steaks and other foods, they both perform well. The Tanaka is more of a work horse and the Addict 2 is almost Laser type. I have used my Tanaka since August and have only stropped it a few times; it still sticks into my cutting board for a week or so after stropping, but I haven't been cooking as much as usual lately. I have a Blue #2 Kurouchi nakiri from Tanaka that I have sharpened and it takes a wickedly sharp edge!

I don't have a Goko, but I have a Fujiwara Terayasu Nakiri in white #1 clad in Stainless. White #1 will take a bit finer edge than Blue or 52100, but it's splitting hairs at that point; they all sharpen up to a stupidly sharp edge easily and touch up easy on a strop or fine stone. White steels are generally more reactive than Blue steels, but the Blue steels are still fairly reactive; they aren't semi stainless or anything. Haven't played with a 52100 blade much, but it will also react, maybe less than the White and Blue steels, judging from a small paring knife I have in 52100. The Goko is clad in SS, the Addict is straight 52100 and the Tanaka has a blue #2 core and layered carbon damascus over it. Just looking at the pic of the Goko, it looks like it is almost flat until the tip; reminds me more of the Addict 2 shape.

Get all 3 :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:57 pm 

I ended up buying the 210mm Kurouchi gyuto from Tanaka. After the hours of research I did, I came to the conclusion that I would buy the smaller, cheaper Tanaka and also buy some steel to try my hand at making my own 240mm blade.

It arrived yesterday and seems to really be a nice blade for the money. This morning I made a new handle for it out of ivory, Gabon ebony, walnut, and lacewood. It's comfortable, fits very snugly, and dresses it up a bit, I think. Thanks for the help folks.

Best,

Jeff

Attachments:
image.jpg [25.88 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
image.jpg [28.23 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:18 pm 

The other images didn't seem to upload correctly from my ipad. Here goes a second attempt:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:54 pm 

You did a nice job on the handle.Image

Page 1 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next