It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:33 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Carbon steel knife that holds an edge well.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:36 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

I've been lurking on your site since yesterday and am having some trouble selecting a knife, or two.

I'm just a home cook and for the past few years or so I've found myself using the cheapest knife (less than $10) I have for most tasks. I've have decent chef knives and santokus but always find myself going for this sort of Nakiri/mini-cleaver I bought from importfood.com.
The blade actually measures about 7 1/4" x 2 1/2". Pic below.

I love the size of this but the knife is obviously very cheap. I'm looking to get something "real". Wondering if you can make a recommendation? Something that will hold an edge well. I've never had a carbon, wouldn't mind something that resists rust but also dont mind maintaining something expensive. Patina is fine and I like the damascus look. Around $200 would be ideal. 300 on the high end.

I'm left handed so 50/50 I think is needed.

Im looking at all of the Nakiri models as well as the Takeda Gyuto 210, I like the height of that blade.

I'd even do two knives if the price isn't out of control.

Also looking at the edge pro kits. Would like a recommendation on the bear essentials to keep whatever recommended knife in top shape.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Carbon steel knife that holds an edge well.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:38 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a big fan of Takeda's gyutos so if that is a knife that you were attracted to I would encourage you to try one. They're really fun to use and they're hand made in Shosui's small blacksmith shop.

The Edge Pro is my choice for those that don't want to learn free hand sharpening. Try the "Essential" set on our site. It's got everything you need to get scarry sharp edges.

Mark

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Carbon steel knife that holds an edge well.
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

A nakiri, at least in my opinion, does not make a great daily use knife. Not tip and just wrong shape.

As Mark said, Takeda's knives are fantastic and I wouldn't recommend against them. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]