It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:50 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Does the magnet work with the Pro model?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,

I spoke with you yesterday about Artifex Suhihiki. I have a question about your Neodymium table magnets. Can they be used with the
Edge Pro Professional model. The Panavise that sits on a table is rubber. I don't know if the magnets would work on the side of the Panavise or under the table of the EdgePro which would be approximately 1/2 inch under the knife blade. Could the magnets be used to help hold blade in place or would they magnetize the knife blade?

Thanks,

Louis

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Does the magnet work with the Pro model?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:54 pm 

Yes, but you have to make a recess for the magnet. At least that is how I did it to mine. I tried just putting the magnets on the underside of the blade table and it didn't work for me. The table was just too think to let the magnets "grab" a knife.

I got some 3/4" disc magnets from Home Depot, just like the ones Mark sells but round. Then I used a 7/8" Forstner type drill bit to make the recess holes for the magnets. Some two sided tape holds the magnets in the holes just fine. Just be careful not to drill all the way through your blade table. So far I haven't magnetized any blades with this set up. Works great.

I only used the round magnets because I knew it would be easier for me to make round recess holes. YMMV ;)

Last edited by Paradox on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:21 pm 

good idea! =D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:03 pm 

I am not very handy, and don't want to alter my Edge Pro in case I ever wanted to sell it. I just found website "magnets4less.com" and they sell magnets up to 1900 pounds of force. I spoke to a sales rep there and he guessed that perhaps a 20 pound force magnet might work under knife table of EdgePro. I may get some magnets from 13.5 pounds up to 30 pounds of pull and test. I assume that too strong a magnet would make it difficult to move knife. The magnets are cheap, but shipping expensive as they are shipped by "magnets4less" as hazardous material.

My biggest problem on Edge Pro is keeping the knife blade perfectly still on the blade table, and I am hoping that magnets may help.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:25 pm 

I don't think I'll ever sell my EP Pro but if anything I think my magnet mod has enhanced its value in that regard.

I find the magnet to be very helpful. Makes it seem like I need to exert less effort to keep the knife where I want it while sharpening.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:07 am 

I just found another site that sells magnets, "magnet4sale.com" and it appears to have normal, reasonable shipping rates to U.S. I am going to get some magnets 15 pounds to maybe 40 pounds and try them. One sales person estimated that a 30 pound magnet might work. So knife sharpeners, the choice is yours. You can do moderately difficult mod to alter your Edge Pro Professional model; if you are not handy like me, you can hire a handyman to do it for say $50 or so, or you can try more powerful inexpensive magnets.

For many people, it might make more sense to get a different machine such as the WEP than to make major alterations to the Edge Pro. I think there is a possibility that stronger magnets will work for me; it is a logical hypothesis, but I need to try it out.

Also, combining magnets does not work very well. I spoke to some people at two websites, and they indicated that you would increase the strength of the magnet by approximately one third by attaching two magnets. It is better to use one stronger magnet than to combine magnets. These magnets are also fragile, so keeping it simple probably works best.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:16 pm 

Some skilled knife sharpeners are very handy and creative. The EP modification by Paradox is an original idea that would facilitate the use of the Professional model. As my name "DullBlade" indicates, I am lazy and I prefer to avoid dealing with "paradoxes" and difficult situations, and I prefer to find the easiest approach to solving problems and resolving issues.
Thanks everyone for your feedback, and I will hope that I will be able to do a reasonable job getting my new Richmond Artifex Sujihiki to "stay sharp", after I receive it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:57 am 

I now own a modified “Wicked Edge Pro” Professional model. I attached two Neodymium magnets each with a holding power of 46 pounds under the blade table of my Edge Pro Professional model. I used Scotch Extreme mounting tape (3M) which is double sided to attach the magnets underneath the blade table. I first bought an off brand of double sided duck tape to attach the magnets, but it didn’t work well. The tape was difficult to cut and work with and it didn’t stick well, and the magnet didn’t hold for long. I returned the used tape to Lowes and got the Scotch extreme mounting tape which has held for a day so far.

I bought a few different magnets with different holding power. My magnets with 22 pounds of holding power were not strong enough and did not work well. The magnets with 35 pounds of holding power did work, but the strongest magnets I purchased with 46 pounds of holding power appear to work best for me. You still need to hold the knife with your off hand, but the knife is basically attached to the blade table by the magnet, and you can use very light pressure to hold the knife, making it much easier to keep it steady. I got one knife to stay on the table without holding it, but I did not try to sharpen without holding the knife. It is not quite a “Wicked Edge Pro”, but my EP now seems to have some Wicked Edge-like properties.

WARNING:
THE MAGNETS ARE VERY POWERFUL. I never worked with magnets before, and out of the package I place two of the ½” by 1” magnets (with 46 pounds of pull), more than 3 feet apart on a table. The magnets flew together, and a part of one of the magnets chipped off. I even had a little difficulty separating three 5/8” by 5/8 magnets

Do not use the magnets near speakers CDs, or iphones. Don’t use them if you have a pace maker. Be careful not to hold a knife near the magnets, or I assume that the magnet may draw the knife to it, and then there would be some risk of damaging blade, if the edge of blade slammed against the magnet.

I purchased the magnets online from “magnets4sale.com”. The name of the company is:
CMS Magnetics, Inc.
1839 Wall Street
Garland Texas 75041 (972)516-0692

Excellent service, I received the magnets 3 days after ordering, and two emails were sent to me indicating when the order was prepared to ship, and when it actually was shipped. Shipping costs were a reasonable $4.30.
“magnets4less.com” could be called “magnets4more.com” as there shipping rates are almost triple.

If anyone is interested in experimenting with these magnets on an Edge Pro Professional model, The magnets I ordered that appear to work are:
ND0223-45NM N42 Neodymium Magnets N42 Neodymium Magnet Dia 4/8X5/8” NdFeB Rare Earth
Disk Magnet ($1.59)
ND041010-42NM N42 Cylindrical Neodymium Magnet Dia 1/2X1: NdFeB Rare Earth Magnet ($2.88)

An inexpensive, stronger magnet is:
N42 Cylindrical Neodymium Magnet Dia 1/2X1.5” NdFeB Rare Earth Magnet with 67.5 pounds of pull
for $2,89.

I didn’t get this magnet. I don’t know if it would work even better than the 46 pound pull magnets, but they would be more difficult to handle.

Since the magnets are fragile, I would suggest ordering at least 4. I ordered 3 for each of 3 types of magnets.

I only sharpened two knives, and I needed very light pressure with my off hand to hold the knife. I only touched up one of the knives with a 10K Chosera, and used EP stock stones for a Forschner. I hadn’t previously had any trouble holding knives I sharpened with EP stock stones, so I don’t know yet how much the magnets will help me. Sharpening did seem a little more natural to me. I don’t have a Wicked Edge, but it almost felt like I was using a “Wicked Edge Pro”.ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:44 pm 

Hi. If you were somehow to magnetize the knife, what problem would that cause?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:56 pm 

I am not an expert on magnets, but the knives I sharpened on my edge pro with the magnets did not get magnetized at all. To test this, I just put an old knife I have that was wrecked by "professional knife sharpeners" years ago and I have it on the edge pro blade table right above the magnets. I will leave it there for at least one day to see if it gets magnetized. Magnets can magnetize small objects that lay on it such as tips of screw drives, but the screwdrivers need to lay directly on the magnet, and the magnetic charge is only temporary. I have done this with magnets because I have had problems with loose screws, and lightly magnetized screwdrivers are much easier for me to handle. I assume that the thickness of the blade table, and the relatively brief amount of time the knife blade is on the table should prevent this from happening. I will find out soon though, with my junky knife. I assume that most types of steel would react similarly to the magnets, but I am not sure.

I believe that someone on a different thread said that this is not a problem with using the magnets (referring to the edge pro apex model). I am using 2 magnets with 46 pounds of pull, but I think the magnets with less strength (35 pounds of pull) would work. I used two of them briefly and the knife was sticky on the table and very easy to hold steady with my off hand. My magnets with 22 or 24 pounds of pull did not work for me, and a tech support representative at magnets4less estimated that at least 30 pounds of pull would be needed due to the thickness of the blade table.

I have found it much easier to hold the blade on the table with very light pressure, and can make much larger sweeps with the stone arm, easily sweeping gyutos in 2 or 3 sections. Three seems to be better for me to keep the edge overlap fairly constant.

My experience is only with the professional model. Experienced sharpeners have had success with Mark's magnets with 13 pounds pull on the Apex model.

Anyone who is interested in buying magnets, magnets4sale offers good competitive prices, low shipping rates to U.S., and excellent and fast shipping (at least for me).

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next