It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:48 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: So.......what's next??????
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:28 am 

Here's a view of what i have so far. I figure i would lay them all out before i start to make some bolognese. The knives are a Blue Doi yanagiba, a tojiro deba, konosuke ginsan gyuoto, a kikuichi petty, small Wuestof and a mercer santoku. I am wondering what i should add next. I started a post asking what knife some sushi chef was using in this video because i thought i may need something very sharp and thin for some of the more precise veg cutting and display type work. I like to prepare sushi and was wondering what you use?

Post subject: Re: So.......what's next??????
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:59 am 
Forum Moderator

Maybe a 210mm suji? Or a usuba or nakiri for very thin veggie cuts?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:23 pm 

knives small.jpg [80.37 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
Sorry, forgot to post pic!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

A usuba is often used for veggie prep in sushi.

Not very practical for anything else though.

Perhaps would be a good choice to try. They're fun.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:16 pm 

Hey Adam,

Welcome back and thanks for the thoughts! In the picture is the Deba that I wrote to you about. Whenever you get a chance to write me back I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:58 pm 

Taz,

I am torn between the Suji and the nakiri. I've ruled out the Usuba at this point.....very specialized. I can't seem to find a 210 Suji on the Mark's site and some of the Nakiri's are out of stock. Mark's been great and I want to give him the business. I'm still trying to figure this out and maybe answers to a few questiions may help:

* What does the Nakiri do better than my 240 Gyuoto, specifically? I know it for vegetables, but how does it shine in that area?
* I see some sushi chefs using short suji's for more artful/thin cuts on tomato, cuccumber, etc for decoration. Is it the thin pointed tip that allows them to do that? Can a Nakiri do the same thing?

I now have a very nice and pretty darn expensive Gyuoto which I'm now feeling like I won't use near as much if I get a Nakiri. This is fun and making me nuts, haha.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:36 pm 

I reach for this knife more than any other blade in my bag.

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suisinpetty.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:14 pm 

Is it just a shorter version of their 240 & 270 Sujis or is it a different blade entirely?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

A 210mm suji or 210mm wa petty will give you a narrower blade with a thin tip for precision cuts. A 180mm wa petty would most likely work, too. A nakiri works great for very fine cuts in veggies, very thin slices, etc. It doesn't have a point, so you can't do point work with it, but if you just want slices, it works great. Less resistance thru veggies since the blade is usually thinner than many gyuto's, except lasers. I like the nakiri since it saves the edge on my gyuto; nakiri for veggies, gyuto for meats, edges last longer since the work is split between 2 knives.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

Yeah, I have the 210mm Suisin Inox Honyaki petty and I use the crap out of that knife in my house.

A nakiri doesn't really do anything a gyuto can do better.....at least not that I've found....unless the nakiri is ground thinner than the gyuto which does happen. A nakiri is more likely to be very thin whereas a gyuto can be very thin to thick. But a gyuto can be as thin and have as long of flat edge as a nakiri. A gyuto is more versatile than a nakiri too.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]