It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:25 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Messermeister?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:44 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,

I am a previous customer of yours and I have a question.

I have Japanese knives from MAC, Misono, and Glestain a I like them a lot. However, I lost a German knife in a divorce and I kind of miss it. I liked the ability to rock it and I also miss the weight of it. I know the metal is softer in the German knives but I have sharpening supplies and I like the idea of an edge that is equal on both sides and not like the chisel edges on the Misono and Glestain. The 70/30 and 80/20 edges cut really well, but I don't feel like I can get the most out of sharpening them myself.

I have been looking at the Messermeister line. On a competitor's website it says that Messermeister uses a 15 degree edge instead of a 20 degree edges, is this true? If so, Messermeister seems like it would be just the ticket for me, I like the finer and bolsterless edge of the Japanese style knives, but it also want a rounder profile so I can rock it over onions and garlic and such, also it is solid and heavy looking.

Also, I really like the kullens on the MAC and Glestain that I have, do you carry the Messermeister 10 inch chef's knife with the kullens? Kullens seemed gimmiky to me at first, but they do seem to make potatoes stick less on the MAC and Glestain.

If you have any other options in a heafty 10 inch chef's knife that has kullens, has a tapering bolster, is good for rocking and a decently sharp edge that is 50/50 and not 70/30 or 80/20 I am all ears.

Thanks!

--
Pau

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Messermeister?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Pau,

Yes some of the German stuff is now coming with 15 degree bevels. Messermeister and Wusthof are 2 examples. I like the Messermeisters because they have tapered finger guards so they don't go down to the edge and I also like the mirror edge they have. The grantons don't work on just about all knives except for the big ones on the Glestains.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:50 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Shun gyuto's have more belly than the typical Japanese gyuto and more in line with a German knife profile.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:19 pm 

I just acquired a 10 inch Messermeister San Moritz Elite chef knife. Brand new in the box, I got it for $36, (on a popular auction site) lowest price online I could find was $110.
Last year I got a 6 inch San Moritz Elite, after I worked some magic on it, my wife loves it, uses it all the time. It's her go to kitchen knife, and I have over 2 dozen to choose from.
The steel on the San Moritz line is identical to the Meridian Elite, the only difference is the San Moritz line has a metal engraving plate on the handle for name or initials.
I took it out of the box, stropped in on my 5K waterstone, then on balsa with boron carbide, then on a leather strop with some boron carbide.
The edge is fabulous! It's a heavy knife, especially compared to Japanese blades. I'll post a review once I give it a good workout.
And yes it's sharpened at 15 degrees, so it takes a little more diligence keeping the edge honed with a steel. The edge will want to "roll" more since it's at the steeper angle.
I have not had to re sharpen the 6 inch blade yet, and my spouse uses it almost daily. I just hone it on the steel, and occasionally give it a good stropping.
I personally think Messermeister is every bit as good as Wustoff, and better in some ways.
I have a santoku knife with the Granton edge, food still sticks to the blade, it's really more of an appearance thing.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:33 pm 

Feels like other German knives in your hand. No bolster, 15 degree angle . Very easy to resharpen. I own some pretty cool knives, but if I'm breaking down birds or concerned about abuse from stuff that has bones, I still take one out. I've owned them for over 15 years and have given away a bunch as gifts. Most of those people who have added fabulous knives to their sets still find the Messermeisters to be of great use for many tasks. The Messermeister offered on CKTG is fine knife at a fair price. The support you get from Mark is great and hard to put a price tag on. Don't bother with the Kullen or Granton edge. You may like the look, but on this knife , it doesn't help the performance at all.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:23 pm 
Forum Moderator

I personally am a big fan of the 1905 f dick line, it sharpens well and the handle is as solid as it gets, I also have a wusthof ikon which according to the email I got has been hardened to 60 and I believe that as I sharpen it. The ikon is as close to a Japanese knife as I have ever sharpened and used not to mention it also looks good . I would buy more of each if I could afford it. Messermeister also had a line made by suncraft, I bought a santoku from mark when they were closing them out and have been kicking myself in the ass ever since that I didn't by more. The line is still available through another merchant but the price is way to high if they would drop 25-30% or so I would own every one, the one I have I will put it head to head with any other santoku after I sharpen mine it really gets that dam sharp. Just my 2 cents. Peace and prosperity, jmbullman the sharpest redneck in the south.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]