It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:55 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gift for a pro friend.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark

Its been awhile since I have bought anything from you.

Am in the market for a new set of knives. This time as a gift.

A friend of mine got to use my Kikuichi Ginsanko and has been wanting one ever since.

He was a chef at a cafe, but is now opening his own restaurant, so I thought it would be a good excuse to give him a great set of knives. CKTG seemed the natural place to look for something like that.

Am looking for a 240mm Gyuto, a 120 / 150 mm Pretty and possibly a Santoku.

The knives will be used in a commercial kitchen. He expects to do a lot of the prep him self (initially at least).

Stainless steel, should be able to hold an edge, japanese handle (not absolutely necessary).

I was looking at the Konosuke HD and your line of Richmond Ultimates, but I think you are sold out on the Konosukes and the Ultimates. The Richmond Artifex look like they are great value for money, but am not sure if they would be more suitable for his staff rather than him!

I am pretty flexible on the budget seeing as its a gift. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Best regards

U-Shaun

Richmond Laser

Post subject: Re: Gift for a pro friend.
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Hi U-Shaun,

Is your friend right handed?
Did you want a wa handle or western handle?

Richmond Laser

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:43 pm 

Hey Mark

Right Handed. He is more comfortable with western handles, but its not absolutely necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

Haha....hello U-Shaun!! :)

The Konosuke HD's are going to be very nice. A hard to beat knife really.

The Richmond Artifex is a great budget level knife but not in line with the HD's from Konosuke.

Other than that, the Richmond Addict is nice.

The Richmond Laser is a great knife series.

Suisin Inox Honyaki's are hard to beat, but they've gotten spendy.

The Kikuichi TKC is a killer knife for the price...but Western handled.

With a budget like that, you've really got a lot of options. Maybe, can we narrow it down with some other requirements? Damascus or no. Kind of mighty or super thin? Anything else come to mind?

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:10 pm 

Hey Adam - Consolidating Chats ...

Damascus or a Kurouchi finish would be nice touch but not essential.

Somewhere between mighty and super thin. Is there a middle ground? Too far on the mighty side and it starts being german?

From the knives I have seen thick thickness gradient sorta starts at Suisin Honyakis ---- Konosukes ---- Sakai Takayuki Damascus ---- Kikuichi Ginsanko ----. This is all perception. I didn't actually measure any of it! Where would the Richmond Artifex / Lazers fit in?

I think his concern is that super thin may be more fragile and therefore at greater risk of being damaged. Is that actually true, or is it just perception?

Anything else ... not really. I suppose a good fit and finish on the knife would help.

He was some Nenox S1s recently and was quite taken by them ... something about iron-wood handles.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]