It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:42 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Cutting Paper
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:58 pm 

kalaeb, This is one of the things that I have noticed, I don't always do a good job deburring. That is one of the many things that I am trying to give the attention that you have to to get a good edge.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:43 am 
Site Admin

I'm a hand switcher too but I don't think it matters that much the further up the grit scale you sharpen. After stropping with compounds the scratches are pretty fine.

I'm wondering if it is not the edge but the way you are pushing through the paper? Just a thought.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:52 am 

I have found that tight grit progression and stone consistency solves many issues, including more efficient burr removal, less time spent on each stone eliminating scratch patterns and ultimately smooth edges. I've heard others rationalize that more stones equals more opportunities for mistakes, which is a valid argument if one's technique is flawed. However, once you develop consistency, more stones/tighter grit pattern equals better results. I stay within 2K gaps up through my 5K stone, spend less time on each stone and fly through phone book paper whether slicing or push cutting in either grain direction. I also sharpen ambidextrously which keeps scratch patterns even more consistent. -Josh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:07 am 

Mark-->Anything is possible. I've only been free hand sharpening for about a month now so I'm still Soooo Greeeeen!
Josh-->Progression is definitely something I've been thinking about. I'm only using the Arashiyama 1k and 6k right now. I'm right on the verge of buying more stones to fill that 1-6 gap and to get a lower grit to help out.
I will say that I still have a hard time now and then getting a good edge on just the 1k so I know my technique still needs a lot of work!

Thanks so much for all your thoughts and ideas guys, your really helping me out a lot on more than just this question!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2