It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:33 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: What style knife is this..........
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:21 am 

Haha, im looking for an excuse for a new knife and nobody is helping the cause!!!! Come on, Mark......help me out!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:51 am 
Forum Moderator

Oh, you need to LOOK for an excuse to buy a knife? A true knife-nut need not look for an excuse to buy a new knife....the reasons are painfully abundant!

and in honor of you, Mr. DM66, I am going to make the next knife giveaway topic: EXCUSES TO BUY A KNIFE

..... After all the responses come in, then you will know... you will see. :ugeek:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

all in good fun, I hope this thread turns out to be awesome!

Oh yeah, if you want a good cheap sujihiki.... Fujiwara FKH, takes a great edge, and holds it, I love mine to death. A tad reactive at first, but patina seriously helps it.

I looks like the 240 is currently out of stock and the 270 may be a tad long for what you want... the one in the video is like a 210 that has been thinned down a lot through use.

You probably are looking for a good 210 sujihiki In my opinion. :)

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:35 pm 

Ha! My bourbon infused response has inspired a new knife giveaway! Some good can come from alcohol.

I'm honored and really looking forward to the responses. I'm a relatively serious fisherman and I bet the same justifications guys use when looking to buy a new rod or reel will no doubt be similar to the responses this giveaway will prompt. Should be fun!

Thank you for the recommendation. I am now torn between a Suji and a Nakiri for prep when I make sushi at home. Can a Nakiri make the same razor thin cuts that the suji made when the chef in the video made that rose out of the half tomato? I am obviously relatively new to the knife game, so its alotta hemming and hawing when making a purchase.

Thanks for the responses Shaun as well as the rest of you.

Have a happy and safe new year!

Page 2 of 2 [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2