It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:31 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Addict 2 in CPM154 or 52100 carbon steel
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 7:32 am 

I dont mind the maintanence that the carbon steel is going to need but I have never owned a carbon knife and dont really know the demand it takes to care for it. which one will retain its edge longer and sharpen with less skill?

Post subject: Re: Addict 2 in CPM154 or 52100 carbon steel
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:15 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Joseph,

I like getting to talk to all my customers on here instead of email. Thanks for coming over to the forum!

Usually edge retention and ease of sharpening are inversely related and this is the case with the Addict in 52100 vs CPM154. CPM154 is difficult to sharpen because the steel is abrasion resistant but once sharp, it holds it's edge for a long time. 52100 is a very good carbon steel that sharpens up really well but it doesn't hold it's edge as long. If you like to sharpen and you are ok with carbon steel get the 52100. If you don't know how to sharpen or you prefer stainless get the CPM154.

Also, I should mention my buddy Shaun offers to sharpen all of the Richmond knives once for free. All you need to do is pay for shipping.

Here's a link to the 2 knives.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ca52ad24gy.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riknad24.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:14 pm 

I appreciate the invite to the forum Mark, I joined three days ago and I have learned more about knives & sharpening in these three days then I have in 10 years in the kitchen. Thanks for taking the time to school me. if you could only get two affordable stones to sharpen these knives which ones would they be?

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:21 pm 

I have Richmond Addicts in both CPM154 and 52100 carbon. These are beautiful knives, and you will be happy with either knife. Regarding the CPM154 you should read my "First Impressions" review on the "Customer Reviews" forum. They are such different steels that I recommend saving up to buy both. Perhaps that's why they are called the Richmond Addict?

As for two stones, I would go with the Shapton Glass 1000 and 4000 grit stones, which Chef Knives to Go has as a "combo" kit at a reduced price.

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:53 pm 
Site Admin

Yes especially with the CPM154 you need a stone that will cut that steel and the Shapton Glass set that Wicked mentioned will do a good job on it. You might want to get a low grit stone as well like the Shapton Glass 320 so you don't have to spend as much time on the 1K.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:56 am 

I own the ADDICT in stainless, and after 3 weeks of daily use, I have only ran it across a strop a few passes. this knife holds its edge better than anything I have ever used. Thank you for not just selling me a knife because it has your name on it, but because it does exactly what I needed it to do. You guys ( and gals ) are the best.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]