It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:41 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Buying my first Japanese Chef's knife.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:00 am 
Site Admin

Hello,

I found your site through the forum on cheftalk.com, and heard a lot of positive reviews about your business. I have been working with a Henckel’s basic knife set from Costco for the last 10 years, but am doing a lot more cooking lately and wanting to upgrade to something nicer. I am new to the details of what makes a good knife, but from what I’ve read online, I am attracted to the Japanese style and quality. Because of my budget, I’m looking at starting with a chef’s knife and working my way from there. I read some reviews about the Kikuichi TKC Gyuto 210mm, but wanted to make sure it is right for me. Is this a knife that I can use as an all-purpose workhorse? I would primarily use the knife for vegetables and cutting boneless meat. I don’t have any specialized sharpening tools – would I need to get some for a knife like this? Would you recommend a better option? I wouldn’t want to spend any more than $175.

Thanks for your help!

Ben

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Buying my first Japanese Chef's knife.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:05 am 
Site Admin

Hi Ben,

In general the answer is yes that's an excellent knife. If you want a western handled knife with good semi stainless steel it's an great choice. There are a group of them in that general price range that are good. Masamoto VG, Takayuki Hammered Damascus and the Hiromoto AS are all good alternatives in that same general price range.

Chefknivestogo New Arrivals

Post subject: Re: Buying my first Japanese Chef's knife.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:42 am 
Forum Moderator

You can get an Artifex 210mm, Bester 1200 and Rika 5K for your budget I believe and you would have a great knife and the stones to put a crazy edge on it!

Mark listed other good choices, too! Lots of good 210mm gyutos out there!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]