It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:49 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Help deciding on a few 240mm gyutos
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:06 am 

Hello, I am having some trouble making a decision on a new 240mm gyuto. I need a really bad ass workhorse that can handle any number of task's and food's. I'm not big on the carbon steel blades but i am open to it. Also, i dont mind spending a good chunk of money on a knife but dont want to over spend for a name or looks. I just want a solid blade that holds a good edge for a long time and can handle alot of work. Here are some of the knives that i am considering, i am open to new suggestions as well.

1)Kikuichi molybdenum
2)Kikuichi warikomi or swedish warikomi
3)Masamoto VG or ST series
4)Hiromoto AO super steel

Any helpful hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Post subject: Re: Help deciding on a few 240mm gyutos
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:08 am 

i'd say go for the hiromoto, it will be most likely be sharper than any of the ones you mentioned and will stay as long if not longer than any of them.

=D

my first japanese knife was a blue steel cladded knife. it's an aritsugu kyoto santoku. sharpest knife i've ever held. rust isn't very big of a problem since it's cladded, very much like the hiromoto albeit a softer stainless steel but when i first cut with it, it was biting through the board like nobody's business. i've never had a knife do that, specially my stainless ones. it was biting into all my boards, bamboo, hardwood and plastic poly boards. it was insane. stays sharper than my tojiro gyuto. but then i still use my tojiro more since it's a longer and more all purpose knife than a short santoku. and i kinda baby my aritsugu coz it's pretty rare to find an aritsugu kyoto knife outside japan since they don't sell online and all that.

you will not regret it.

if it's gonna be your first knife, i'd say take the plunge. just learn to care for carbon steel and you're all good! i did.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:31 am 

Thanks, i'll certainly consider it. This isnt my first though. I have some tojiros and shuns, just want to get something thats a bit of a step up from those In the larger category. I work in a extremely demanding kitchen and have to do a lot of prep. I really want to make sure I get the best knife for the job.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:35 pm 

Kikuichi TKC is a very nice option; good heft but not heavy. Nice comfortable handle (if you don't have XXL hands). I think it is AUS-10 so you'll have no problems with acids and moisture (takes neglect to stain it). It can hold an edge all shift while taking a beating. Definitely Badass.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

Kikuichi's TKC is a solid choice. As is the Hiromoto AS.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:51 am 

Is the steel in the kikuichi tkc molydbenum?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:08 am 
Forum Moderator

The steel in the TKC series is a proprietary blend, very similar to Konosuke HD steel IMO. Fine grained, good steel.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:33 am 

So it's moly then? Reason im wondering is that I need to get a new knife asap. The tkc's are out of stock here, but on kikuichis website they have a moly available.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:40 am 
Forum Moderator

Moly steel is a stainless steel usually, lesser quality than the TKC steel. Carbonext or the Kono HD would be a better match to the TKC steel than Moly steel would be.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:03 am 

the TKC is a semi stainless type of steel. halfway between carbon steel and stainless steel.

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next