It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Miyabi or German stuff?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:37 am 
Site Admin

Hi there!

I'm looking for a chef knife for (frequent) home use and was wondering if you could help me decide. I've tried a Miyabi Kaizen 8in and it felt very nice and seemed sharp but I've heard it can chip easily. I was also looking at your comparably priced German Henckels (and Wusthof). I've been told they are not on the same level as the Japanese Miyabi but will hold up really well. I also don't like sharpening knives myself and have heard that the Miyabi will hold it's edge longer. How long can I go between sharpening with either knife?

Thanks in advance!

Cody

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Miyabi or German stuff?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:40 am 
Site Admin

Hi Cody,

I don't think I've recommended any of the knives on your list in a while but if I had to choose I would get the Miyabi Kazen. They're pretty good knives with descent steel and nice looks.

You could save yourself some money and get a Fujiwara or a Tojiro and they would be every bit as good.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:19 am 

Get the Kaizen, solid knife for someone not highly familiar with Japanese stuff and a way better introduction to Japanese style knives than a Shun in sense of profile. Fit is great, damn sharp and will stay that way for a long time. No idea where you heard the chipping stuff because its a sturdy blade. Tojiro DPs are spotty in finish though Fujiwaras are always a good cheap bet.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:33 am 

The kaizen 240mm was my first Japanese style knife and I recommend it 100% over a german blade. It can take a very sharp edge and hold it. Ive been using it everyday as a workhorse for over a year now and havent had one chip yet. The damascus look is also very sexy but fades as time goes by due to sharpening/thinning the blade and just regular wear and tear. A quick acid etch bath will bring it back tho.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ]