It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:05 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Initial thoughts on Edge Pro and OEM stones
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:09 pm 

Been doing some sharpening with the Edge Pro for the 1st time...have some feedback.

1) Stones are good - not great. I have the 400 (instead of the 320) in my set and it is the highest quality stone in my opinion. Hate the 220. 120 was "ok" to reprofile a knife. Haven't used the 1000 too much -haven't needed too.

2) Glass PYREX dish isn't working too well... lips are too high around the outside and end of Edge Pro handle grazes the lip. Need to find a glass dish with lower sides.

3) Still not too happy with cloths I am using. Smooth tea towel seems to work the best...tried the BLUE scotchbrite pads and the e-cloth - they tend to fray a bit when rubbing the stones. E-cloth is great for cleaning the knife.

4) I find that the screw on the knife guide loosens occasionally.

5) Suction cups are "ok"...find that if water gets near them they slip easily...usually 1 of them anyways. What happens if they stop working? Are there replacements out there? Anyone have a better system (other than screwing the thing to a board and clamping)?

6) Still not sure if I should be putting a drop of dish soap in the water bottle to wet the stones. I have heard opposite opinions.

I can't wait til I get my Shapton Glass stones...should be a fun comparison. Still wondering if I should also try some Choseras or Nubatamas...

Overall I am happy with the system and give it a 8/10 with the OEM stones. Hoping that will be a 9 or 9.5 soon!

Real Money Fantasy Leagues

Post subject: Re: Initial thoughts on Edge Pro and OEM stones
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:21 am 
Forum Moderator

The EP Pro with Shapton Glass stones gets 10/10 !!!

:)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:28 am 
Forum Moderator

Variety is the spice of life :) Glass stones on the EP are very good stones - I was the first to use them BTW on the EP YEARS ago so I easily have more experience with them than anyone around. But you should try other stones too. And other techniques as you work to develop your skillsets. Sticking with just one setup is self limiting. I've been using full sized Shapton GlassStones for YEARS as well. IMHO.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:41 am 

Was wondering if I should also get a few Choseras or Nubatamas (sp?) to try out...or is that a waste when I will have the glass stones soon?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:53 am 

I would suggest getting to the point where you are turning out nice sharp knives with the GS, THEN consider getting some other stones. That way you'll have a chance to decide what you like and don't like about how the GS work for you. You will be able to buy different stones with the ability to give you the end result you are looking for. Otherwise it's like throwing gum on the ceiling and seeing what will stick and at $30-$100 a pop for stones that would get expensive fast, at least for me it would. Welcome to the rabbit hole! Have fun.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:55 am 
Forum Moderator

Paradox wrote:I would suggest getting to the point where you are turning out nice sharp knives with the GS, THEN consider getting some other stones. That way you'll have a chance to decide what you like and don't like about how the GS work for you. You will be able to buy different stones with the ability to give you the end result you are looking for. Otherwise it's like throwing gum on the ceiling and seeing what will stick and at $30-$100 a pop for stones that would get expensive fast, at least for me it would. Welcome to the rabbit hole! Have fun.

Could not have said it better - agree 100%.

It took me some time with the EP stock stones.....then I delved into the "aftermarket" ones - different ball game - new rules, but you need to have your basic ball handling skills down to pat first!

:)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:53 am 
Forum Moderator

"Welcome to the rabbit hole!"

This discussion comes up whether it is on the EP. WEPS or freehand. There have been 'religious wars' over this sort of topic among freehanders, with some insisting on starting with a King Combo stone or other soft stone and others (self included) have suggested harder stones like the GlassStones. Some have preferred Shapton Pros and some Choceras on the EP. For me there is value in combining series too. For instance a 10k Chocera is a most interesting followup with a 8k GlassStone. An 8k Naniwa pairs well with a 4k GlassStone. and so forth. This alternating of a hard and soft stone is often seen with Naturals. In fact I suggest that starting out with a 1k GlassStone is a good starting point. Again you could narrow your selection to a single series for a more pragmatic but limited perspective perspective on sharpening or broaden your palette. You could do this now or later in your journey. Similarly you could get all your knives of a single steel, and single length or go the route of not becoming a 'one trick' type of sharpener. "Variety is the spice of life".

Sorry if I rambled a bit....

---
Ken

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:27 am 

Thanks for nothing Ken! LOL

It is so difficult to make these kinds of decisions.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:10 am 
Forum Moderator

Anytime, LOL! Don't get too freaked out by any individual decision. No one dies from a less than perfect edge. Just enjoy the journey. it can be the journey of a lifetime.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:59 am 

So I did it...ordered the 8-piece Chosera set.

Too addicting. But fun as hell!

Page 1 of 2 [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next