It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:39 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Tutorial Request
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:28 pm 

I came to CKTG with the desire to learn about Japaneses water stones and to learn to sharpen knives. I watched some videos, bought some stones and jumped in. Now after watching a lot of videos here some of you have stirred up a new desire. I now have the desire to learn how to use these knives. Some of the knife skills I have seen here are just mind blowing to someone like me!

I would love it if some of you Pro Slicers and Dicers could make a few videos to teach us mere mortals how to improve our knife skills. Maybe a few basic lessons that got you started off. Good cutlery that is nice and sharp is much more enjoyable if you know how to use it!

Just a thought.
Thanks,
Jeff

Post subject: Re: Tutorial Request
PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:33 am 

there's quite a few videos online on knife skills.

one shouldn't really focus on speed at all. one has to be accurate first. speed comes with experience and practice.

speed comes with cutting stuff everyday for hours and hours. it will come, in time. of course lots of cuts on our fingers and stuff will have to happen along the way.

like my instructor at the hotel once said, you're not gonna graduate from here if you don't at least get 50 cuts on your fingers by the end of your stay here.

=D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:16 am 

I know it's not something that can be taught or learned overnight. I don't expect to ever be able to get as good as some of the skills I've seen here. I doubt I do enough cutting to get the practice to get that good. Just looking for few tips and tricks to get better. You have to have a starting point to learn. Shoot....50 cut fingers.....that's nothing, I buy band-aids buy the case! :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:10 am 

well the one thing i can really tell you is to learn the proper grip. there's lots of articles from culinary schools and other places that show you how to grip the knife. there are different grips for different needs from what i've learned through the net and culinary school. but you should learn the pinch grip first before anything, since it's the most versatile. learn a light but firm grip, i'm trying to unlearn my stupidly firm grip from learning how to use a knife with western style knives. j-knives don't need a firm grip since they get so sharp and glide so easily through what you're cutting. less stress on the hand and the knife on your hand makes for a better cutting experience overall.

=D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:39 am 

Go to you tube and check search for pcckitchen, Rick has some great skills and you can learn alot just from watching him. Or check out Saltydog has a video calls strokes for new folks that is pretty good.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=Rx1U-bja3i8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DRx1U-bja3i8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:49 pm 

In most high end kitchens, whatever cut your making must be perfect. Technique>speed....mirepoix is probably the only randomly cut thing I can think of. Occasionaly I get to blast through a dozen onions for caramelizing....

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:55 am 

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've been paying more attention lately to my grip, practicing a basic pinch grip. I've been trying to hold a looser grip. Many years of bad habits to break. I'll do some more YouTubing and Googling.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:23 am 

The first thing the chefs that I worked for ever taught me was to curl my fingertips into my palm a bit from the guiding hand. This may seem obvious to many, but at 14 I had no clue. If you cut your knuckles it will clot faster and impair you less then if you cut your fingertips.

The pinch grip is key to efficient veg prep. The callous on my right pointer finger is a testimate to how many foods I have cut through.

The longer you use a tool, the better you will become at getting the best results from it, for the purpose you use it for.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:51 am 

Well one of the best things I can tell you is practice, practice, practice. I know a lot of people say this but it's true. One of the guys at work I saw one day was watching me and my technique. I really didn't want him to look at how I do things because he's still learning the rock and such and is already trying to do things for speed. Get the basics down good before you want to go on. With good technique will come speed. But speed isn't always needed. Sure it's good but don't become obsessed with it. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:04 am 

I am most interested in proper technique as anything right now. Just doing things the proper way will help me get things done faster. I don't need to dice an onion in 15sec and my never be able to, but proper technique will help me do it in less than 5 min. :oops:

I really do appreciate all the feedback!

Page 1 of 2 [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next