It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:50 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Kono 210
PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:05 am 

MadRookie,

Thoughts on HD vs. Fuji?

Real Money Fantasy Leagues

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:01 pm 

I had mixed feelings about this.... Mark will you email me when you get a 210 HD in? I gotta have that steel.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

CORP, DOC <> All Kono deliveries can be followed here ---> http://www.chefknivestogoforum.com/new-delivery-from-konosuke-t852.html. CKTG is on a 500 knife backorder w/Kono & things move slowly.

DOC <> Go the CKTG site, choose the listing you want, input yourself in the field below the price for a notification e-mail when the item is available.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:00 am 
Forum Moderator

Ok Guys:

IMHO....

The HD vs HH (I have both)...I have the HD in the HD2 Funayaki model - less belly & nice straight cutting edge.

HD slightly less stain resistant (not that it patinas heavily or stains, it is hardly noticeable) than the HH, but has better edge retention - both sharpen easily.

The comparison between HD & Fuji is a personal choice between likes & dislikes of carbon steel vs semi/stainless.

Caring for the carbon steel is no more difficult than caring for a stainless knife (I am working from the assumption that you peeps treat them correctly.....wipe down, wash & store dry etc...)

I have had some very good honyaki white steel & other carbon units - yes, they take an awesome edge & sharpen easily.....BUT my biggest gripe was the edge....my type of food prep always includes acidic items like onions, tomatoes etc - this is where I dislike carbon steel - the edge rapidly dulls after the first few cuts (while the HD in the same scenario will still be screaming sharp for many, many more cuts & prepping.....so I have moved on to using stainless/semi stainless.

If you want carbon, go Fuji...

If you want a lasting sharp cutter, go HD.

It's a personal choice which I believe most of us knife nuts get to make - once there, you move forward to what you prefer ultimately.

.....my 2c....

:)

Page 2 of 2 [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2