It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Carbon knives in the professional kitchen...
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:12 am 

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:15 am 

“If one really wants to be master of an art, technical knowledge of it is not enough. One has to transcend technique so that the art becomes an ‘artless art’ growing out of the Unconscious.” Eugen Herrigel

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:23 am 

As you can see, both chefs have both carbon and stainless steel in their kits. PCCKitchen has several stainless steel knives. His beloved Tanaka ironwood gyuto is a prime example of a stainless steel damascus knife, with a powder steel core. Tanaka died last month, so these are hard to get. A good comparable stainless clad powder steel, both in damascus and in plain clad, are the Sakai knives currently offered by Chef's Knives to Go

For the Sakai clad pm knives, go to: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ginsanwa.html

For the Sakai damascus, go to: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/satajadawa.html

Other great semi stainless steel is in the Richmond Laser; go to http://www.chefknivestogo.com/richmondlaser.html

And in the Suisin Inox series; go to http://www.chefknivestogo.com/suinhowa.html

Last edited by WickedSharp on Thu May 17, 2012 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:30 am 

WickedSharp, thanks for the surfacing of some great look at knives used by some very experience chefs! Looking at all of those knives I notice some have more patina than others which is understandable due to different steel but the all look in fantastic shape.

In purchasing a carbon steel knife what would be a good knife to start out with in the carbon world? I am thinking maybe a fujiwara? Or should I go big and get a takeda or moritaka?

Once again thanks for your wealth of knowledge!

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:47 am 

The Richmond Addict in 52100 carbon steel is fantastic. I just got one in today, and used it to prepare a salad lunch for several people. You can't go wrong with this knife.

You also can't go wrong with Konosuke Fujiyama Series gyutos, or Masamoto.

Frankly, I use high end knives like Mizuno Tanrenjo Honyaki Wa guytos and custom knives, primarily Murray Carter.

If you don't have experience sharpening stones, it makes most sense to start with an inexpensive gyuto like the Tojiro ITK Shirogami Series, and invest in a basic sharpening kit. Also, get some camellia oil. Learn to sharpen, and care for your knife, then move up to other knives. I would rather cook with a cheap highly reactive $60.00 knife that is sharp and well maintained, than a $1,000.00 knife that is dull.

Chef Knives to Go has all of these items, and has reasonable prices.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:30 am 

ALright I have made up my mind after my stone purchase there will be a carbon purchase!

Drew Hostetler

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:39 pm 

wickedsharp,

thanks for all the input. I know the knife I mentioned is a cheap knife, but I did want an intro to carbon steel and sharpening. but so far I really enjoy using it. and find it sharpens easily. Much prefer it to my german stainless knives.

anyhow, thanks for your input.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:50 pm 

Glad to help. As for a "cheap" knife, as I said, I started out with a cheap, highly reactive Chinese cleaver that I purchased for $5 and I loved that knife. It was not nearly as nice as the CCK cleaver, or the Tojiro line, that Chef Knives to Go sells, and it was not nearly as nice as the knife you mention. That cleaver was my go to knife in school for all of my cooking courses, and in restaurant kitchens for several years, along with a Chicago Cutlery paring knife that I found at a garage sale for $1 and a Rapala filet knife I bought at K-Mart. I was too poor to buy anything else. They got the job done. The key was to keep them sharp and maintained. As for the cleaver, someone stole it. I guess they thought it was valuable because I always used it and took good care of it.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:58 pm 

I work in a professional kitchen and use a couple carbon steel knives. Once I got used to using and cleaning them during a rush it has gotten a lot easier. One way I use a quick method to clean them when it's busier than hell is set up two towels, one sanitized, one dry. After cutting, run it over the wet, dry it off, and you're good to go. I also forced a patina on one, my blue steel knife, and let the other, my Hiromoto AS chef. It helps A LOT. No rust yet. Let your coworkers know what kind of knife you have IF you let them use it. I found they definitely don't have as much respect as you do. Hope this has helped. Good luck!
Nathan

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 1:25 am 

I know you said professional kitchen, so apologies if not perfectly applicable b/c I am not a professional chef. That said, I do a ton of cooking and also some catering on the side. I have zero problems with my carbons. I have everything form Misonos (very reactive) to Moritaka's (also reactive, to Sabatiers, and a few other odds and ends. After cooking for years, a bulb went off about five years ago, and I started switching out my inventory from versions of stainless to carbon. I have never looked back. There is a reason that many people buy them to day and put up with the occasional rust spot or patina blotch: They get sharp as hell, and it is VERY easy to keep them sharp. I never thought I'd ever use a Sabatier, for example. It's heavy, and the factory edge of even the reputable ones is terrible. Spend 30 minutes on some half-way decent stones, and you will see what happens. A super sharp and very easily maintainable edge develops and you are locked in. Just a few swipes each time you grab your blade and you are good to go. And, no, they don't melt before you eyes. I do force a patina on my knives early and even the really supposedly reactive blades (Misonos) are very easy to maintain.

Grab a Misono 240 with the fire breathing dragon, or even a 10 inch elephant **** Sab and you will not look back. Use some common sense (like don't let it sit in the sink and a quick rinse from time to time, and I predict you will be very happy and sharp!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2