It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:07 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Stones sliding around, DMT mat??? grits?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:19 pm 

Does the Suehiro Deluxe Stone Holder stay put when using it or do you need to chase it around the table? Thinking about getting this and wondered if the DMT mat would be needed.

Also, I considered the Universal Stone Holder. It seems the Suehiro would be better if for no other reason than one screw for clamping. Seems trivial but when using tools it's amazing how small differences make a big difference over time. Depends on how spoiled we are. :D Does anyone have opinions on the two stone holders? Does the universal holder move around when sharpening? If I don't need the DMT mat I don't want to get one but if it helps I'd like one. Just don't want to accumulate stuff I end up not using. Got plenty of that stuff already. :( I may be sharpening one bare plywood, tile, wood table, etc.

Thanks for any help.

Oh yeah, I'm considering or rather have decided to get the 1k and 4k Shapton glass stone set. I don't free hand much except for final touches or touching up an edge. Edge Pro for most of the work. I'm thinking if I do get bench stones the 1k and 4k would be a good start. Add 8k later if I want. I doubt if I'd want the coarser stones since most reprofiling is done on the EP. I've been using Shapton glass stones on the EP so I think I have a good idea of each stone but would appreciate other's opinions anyway. Does my thinking sound like a decent plan? If I don't get anything finer than the 4k I still think that would give me a very nice edge all by itself, even without stropping. Accurate? No?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Stones sliding around, DMT mat??? grits?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:20 pm 

I have the "suehiro deluxe" holder, it's rock solid. Can't comment on the universal holder, but I'm guessing it works well too. -Josh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:57 pm 

My Universal works perfectly fine. Never chased my stones around before. Although, solid point about the one screw. The two is no problem at all. But one would be better id say

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:40 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've been using the universal for years - have several of them. You don't HAVE to screw down both screws - one usually will do Two just provides more force. Depending on how much of a brute you are especially with coarse stones, you could make it move a little but a wet paper towel below it solves that problem and makes cleanup even easier. I usually don't bother even with the paper towel most of the time. Wood usually has enough texture to keep the holder in place.

The bridges for use over the sink really make this issue a moot point. I have a homemade one (look at my Nubatama stone videos) but the sink bridges Mark sells are a more elegant premade solution.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:57 pm 

Do the stone holders stay put on glass? I have a "base" I made for my EP that has a 12" glass base. I have used it to flatten stones so the center is pretty scarred up. After thinking about it I'm sure I'd use it for any stone using water. I used caulk to build a wall to keep water from running off. I'm thinking the holder would stay put on the scarred area and if I needed to I could scar the glass around the edges if it holds the stone holder in place better than smooth glass.

Thanks for the input guys. It's amazing. For over 25 years all I needed was two Arkansas stones and a bottle of 3-in-one oil. lol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

Or you could put down some of that nonskid stuff they use on steps to make it even tougher to slide. Try the simplest approach first.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:49 am 

I agree with ken. MacGuyver it. Try drawer liners? The DMT thing looks like a thin mousepad to me. Try a mousepad

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:31 pm 
Forum Moderator

Mark does have some videos where he uses the DMT pad. It certainly seems to work, so do keep it in mind if the other approaches don't work out.

---
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:38 pm 

If you buy one of the stone holders you won't need a pad. The holders are like having your stone sitting on a brick of rubber, it's not going anywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:06 pm 

I agree with Jeff, my stone holder can anchor on most surfaces, tile, counter, etc. without the need for additional mats.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]