It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:47 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Which Yamashin?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:04 pm 

So I have decided that I am going to pick up one of the new Yamashins. Those prices for a white #1 blade seem too good to pass up. I almost have to get one right?? :D

However, I can't decide which one to get. I've never sharpened White #1 so I'd like to try it out on this knife. Also, I'm looking for a fun new knife to play around with. Based on that, I'm debating between the Kobocho, Ko Yanagi, and the Funayuki. I've never owned any of these types of knives so I figured now would be the time to try one out.

Does any one have any thoughts on which I should try out?

Post subject: Re: Which Yamashin?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

I think I'd have to get the petty (the Yanagi) as I think it would be the most useful of the three.

Why not the nakiri?

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:34 am 

is the ko yanagi a true yanagi? single bevel, or really a petty knife that's double bevel? coz it looks more like a petty / suji from the pic.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:03 pm 

Adam <> Nothing against the nakiri, I just have a nakiri already and wanted to try out something different.

Franz <> The description of the ko yanagi says that it is double sided. So it seems like it is just supposed to be used as a petty.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:23 am 
Site Admin

The ko-yanagi is what they call it but it's really more a petty. It's got a two sided grind on it and should be a pretty easy knife to sharpen. Same with the Funayuki which would be my choice of the 3 you listed. These knives are hot. Selling really well after the first couple weeks on the site.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:54 pm 

looks good. considering getting a yamashin as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:32 pm 

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up pulling the trigger on the funayuki. I'm pretty excited to get it and i will definitely let you guys know what I think of it as soon as I test it out!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:57 pm 

Hey Mark! I'm wondering about these knives too. Do they all have that nice blueing to the steel?

What's the lowdown on why they're so affordable? Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:12 pm 

Hey guys I just received my Yamashin Funayuki and thought I'd give an update with my initial impressions.

The knife is exactly as described, an incredible value. It does not look or feel like an $80 dollar knife. I am very impressed with the F&F and quality of the grind of something at this price point.

There was one rough spot on the top of the spine that was swiftly removed with a little sandpaper. In addition, the handle has a very "unfinished" kind of feel to it. It almost feels as though it was just sanded seconds ago. This is nothing that I'm sure a little mineral/tung oil mixture can't fix.

The edge was not screaming sharp OOTB, as there was a little resistance when I did a few sharpness tests. However, as it is White #1 I'm sure after a little work on some stones this thing will be popping off arm hair in no time.

Also, I have to note that I absolutely LOVE the blade profile of this funayuki. It is plain just fun to use.

Hope this helps some of you who are considering picking up any of the Yamashins. I would recommend not giving it another thought and pick one up today. You will not be disappointed.

P.S. I'm pretty sure shipping is getting quicker and quicker. Less than 48 hours from click to delivery (5 days before Christmas none the less). Thanks Mark!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]