It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Shapton Pros only good for soft steel?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:58 am 

I purchased Sharpton pro and glass stones from Mark in the grits he recommended. They work very well. The pro feels softer perhaps , and gives good feedback. I use edge trailing strokes more with the pro to finish some knives. If you trust your angles and don't use too much pressure, the glass stones are terrific on high rc steel and they don't dish much. Your technique is more important than which particular stones you use. Lots of good options for different tastes out there. Just use them wisely. You will get screaming sharp edges.Don't worry, Mark's recommendations have been well thought out and I am a very satisfied repeat customer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:13 pm 
Forum Moderator

I only have 1 Shapton and its the Pro 2K stone. Worked awesome on M390, AEB-L, VG-10, White and Blue steel, Aogami Super, S30V, etc. No problems with it that I have seen. Enjoy the new stones!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:01 pm 

Thanks for all the replies and feedback. I ended up sending the Shapton stones back and I purchased Choseras instead. I wanted to get them from Mark but he was sold out. I chose the Chosera's because I came across more negative comments than positive comments about the Shapton Pro stones. Don't know if any of that was justified or not, but I rather be safe than sorry. These stones will last me probably the rest of my life. I don't sharpen for a living, just my own knives. I wanted a good set of stones for myself and something that would last me a long time, sharpen everything I needed to sharpen, and perform well.

Ive used the Choseras to sharpen a few knives and can say that they are great stones. I have the 400,1000,5000. My knives have never been this sharp. The 5000 stone makes them look like a polished sword. I never used Japanese water stones before and I can't believe how fast they cut and the results you get. I may or may not have been happy with the Shapton Pro stones, I don't know. Just too many negative comments about them that left me uneasy with keeping them.

I'm happy with my decision.

Thanks again to all.

Dave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:05 pm 

Dave,

It's regrettable that you gave so much weight to negative comments about the Shapton Pro stones, but that you are happy with your decision is all that counts. If you had looked for negative comments about the Chocera stones, you would have found many, mostly about the stones cracking. Please follow the general admonition to dry your Choceras away from direct sunlight and heat to avoid this issue.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:26 pm 
Forum Moderator

Sorry to hear you sent them back, but glad you're pleased with the Chosera stones. Rick's advice is spot on. I can't fault any Chosera stone really. Don't like the 5k as a finisher myself, but every other stone is wonderful.

Enjoy sharpness!

Belgian Sharpening
Facebook

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:14 pm 

I don't remember any bad take on the Shaptons Pro in the woodworking world. The only time I've seen something it was to say they are just not good at sharpening D2 steel (such as the Ray Iles handplane blades).

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

Page 2 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2