It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:05 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Help me choose between these 4 gyutos.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:41 pm 
Site Admin

Hi,
I'm a first time Japanese knife purchaser and am looking for a good all around kitchen Chef knife to start me off. After perusing your forum, I've found a few that I think might fit the bill. I'm looking for something in the $250-$350 price range. I would prefer something that is semi-stain resistant and good edge retention and durability. I also like the handmade look, I noticed on the Kanehiro you can see what looks to be the hamon from being hand-made. At least, I think that's the case. Not sure if the other knives are the same but you just can't see it in the pictures. Anyway, these are the ones that I liked on the site. Any advice you could give me would be great. Also, I'm a lefty and my wife is a righty so I would like something that would work for both of us.

Konosuke HD 210MM Wa-Gyuto
Kanehiro Wa-Dyuto 210mm
Moritaka Gyuto 210mm (I realize this one is not semi stain resistant, but it looks pretty awesome)
Suisin Inox Honyaki Wa-Gyuto 210mm

Are the non-stainless ones hard to care for?

Thanks for your help.
Nick

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Help me choose between these 4 gyutos.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

There are 2 knives that are highly finished and made in Sakai in small workshops, those are the Kono and Suisin. I love them.
The Kono HD is semi stainless (nearly stainless)
The Suisin is fully stainless
Konosuke has a fully stainless knife line called the HH which is also good.

The Kanehiro and Moritaka are made with a more rustic finish and are excellent knives in their own right.
The Kanehiro is stainless clad so only the core steel is exposed on the edge and that is the only part of the blade that will react.
The Moritaka is fully carbon steel with reactive iron cladding.

If I had to choose 1 of these knives as a first knife without regard to price I would lean toward the Suisin. I like the great finishing, nice handle, included saya and 19C27 stainless is easy to maintain.

If you asked me tomorrow I might change my mind. These are all excellent knives and I could see someone owning all of them at once. Actually I know several of my customers that do own all of them. I won't name names. :)

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:39 am 

I would stay away from the carbon knives for now. I addition I would echo Mark and say go with the Suisin or the Kono. I have the Kono HD 270 and although I have a slight patina on it it hasn't gotten as many discolorations as my other semi stainless knives. I've only heard great things about the Suisin knives and their Deba in the Honyaki line is at the top of my list for knives I would like to own price not considered.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:47 am 
Forum Moderator

NICK <> I have and love them all (in different sizes).

Since you prefer a semi-stainless, at least, I think the superior facets of the full carbon Mori are not great enough to weigh over the other three. Furthermore, there are a few "Mori 210 gyuto(s)": AOS, AO-2, AOS-Damascus.

Kanehiro: By far the heaviest of the bunch, but still most likely lighter than anything you're used to. By far the tallest of the bunch @48mm. The knife has a blade heavy balance that might take some getting used to for you as it is very unlike the knives you're probably accustomed to (Wusthof, Henkel, etc.). Extremely strong feeling knife... a real workhorse. The transition from naked AOS to stainless-clad AOS just below the shinogi is what you're recognizing as a hamon, but don't worry as the AOS takes a beautiful patina that is just as hot. It is my favorite of the four 210's. I honestly can't even use the others as gyutos because they're only around 42mm tall...

Konosuke: I LOVE HD STEEL! Oh, I'm sorry for yelling. No I'm not, I LOVE HD STEEL! It's just awesome... period. Why do you think they sell out so quickly. Well, worth the wait. I have two on order since June! These knives are super light & super thin which will take getting used to, as well. I find it takes a bit more to sharpen then the Suisin. I also find its edge to last slightly longer.

Suisin: There is something about a Suisin that just... connects. I have never spoken with a Suisin Inox Honyaki owner of whom wasn't absolutely in love. I won't say much more because you'll learn I'm a bit crazy, but the Suisin is a very special knife. Yes... I love the HD steel, and yes... no knife in my kit takes a sharper edge then my Kanehiro AOS, and yes... the rustic carbon of the Mori has a dear place in my heart, but the Suisin, I must say, has the most natural & organic overall feel. I just connect with them... & well. There is this je ne sai quoi... just something, I don't know what. The closest most natural extension of my hand from any knife in 23 years as a Chef.

Have fun... they're all awesome in their own ways. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:28 pm 

Thank you guys for the feedback. After further review and consideration of your comments, I think that the Suisin probably would be the best bet for me, but for some reason I really feel drawn to the Kenehiro. I'm going to go with the Kenehiro 240mm Wa-Gyuto.

I'm going to spend some time looking on the forum looking at sharpening and maintenence tips so I can keep it in good shape.

Thanks again for the feedback. Can't wait to test one of these bad boys out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

XXX <> I'm glad to help. May I ask why you chose to step up to the 240? Just curious...

And you're going with the AOS or the G3? FYI: my comments applied to the AOS.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:32 pm 

This is the one I was looking to get. Unfortunately, out of stock though. Will you be getting these in soon Mark?

http://www.chefknivestogo.com/ka24wa.html

I changed to 240mm since it was the mid-size offered. Is that not a good choice? It seemed to be a popular size on the site.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:28 am 
Forum Moderator

XXX <> "Good choice" is again subjective. Yes, 240 is a popular size, but popular for who & where. If you're cooking at home, I would think a 210 is perfect, but that's my opinion. If youre home is large & spacious, and your kitchen is the same... hey, maybe you'll like a 240. Who knows? Only you - when the knife's in your hand.

The Kanehiro is a large knife, too. My Kane 240's cutting edge is 9.5" tip to chin. My Suisin 240's is 9.125". It makes a difference. Heights are 1 7/8" : 2 1/16". The Kane is just a large knife. Not at all a bad thing, just be aware...

My Kane 210 for comparison is 8 3/8" cuting edge & 1 3/4" tall, and the handle is a 1/2" shorter, as well.

I just weighed them for perspective, as well.
Suisin 240 = 145 grams
Kane 210 = 155 grams
Kane 240 = 200 grams

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:49 pm 

Maybe I will stick with the 210 then if its 8.5". Also looks like that one is in stock. Thanks for the tips.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:05 pm 
Forum Moderator

XXX <> My pleasure. The 240 is dramatically larger overall then the 210. :shock:

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]