It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Tips specifically for Moritaka KS 250mm
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:16 pm 

I am awaiting my knife from Mark and in the meantime, wanted to collect some tips for sharpening...

The knife is the Moritaka KS 250mm - http://www.chefknivestogo.com/moritakagyuto.html

I currently have:

The Edge Pro Apex 4

Japanese Whetstones - 600 / 1000 / 5000 grits

Ceramic Hone (Idahone, plus the one that came with the Edge Pro)

Wusthof Sharpening Steel

So, with the above info, any tips for sharpening the Moritaka? Does anyone know what angle it comes with OOTB? Am I good to go with above or do I need to purchase anything else that would either be neccessary or useful?

Thanks!!

Real Money Fantasy Leagues

Post subject: Re: Tips specifically for Moritaka KS 250mm
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:01 am 
Forum Moderator

CORP <> It's finished by hand. I wouldn't trust a quote of what it comes out of the box with. I am curious why you are curious.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:33 am 

I guess what I meant is...is there a standard angle for this type of blade that seems to work best for it? ie 15 degrees? or are we talking as low as 10 degrees or less?

Is there an ideal?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:11 pm 
Forum Moderator

CORP <> Well... like I said before, "As for sharpening tips, I like a steep angle overall on my knives, but I find that on my Moritaka Supreme, I have to fatten her up a bit. For my preference, the Mori Rc 66 AOS is just too brittle at steep angles on a gyuto/santoku. No doubt, its awesome potential for a sickeningly sharp yet delicate yani edge, but high volume gyuto work I have to fatten the angle up a few degrees. I'm a freehander so I'm not going to bullshit you with a claim of exact angle as you could on a jig, but I will say that if I measured off splits (i.e., square, 45, 22.5, 11.25), I can deduce I probably bring my Mori around 15-17 to create the edge integrity I prefer."

Overall consensus, 15 is pretty much baseline. It will leave you a pretty versatile edge (strength vs. sharpness). If you're going to be working through a long heavy prep day, you can fatten her up to 17/18 for more edge integrity. Conversely, if you're going to have a slow day and/or be cutting with exact caution, you can thin her out around 12. It's all preference, and what works for you. That is what I meant when I told you the rabbit hole only gets deeper. This is about experimenting, and learning amid your experience.

"Ideal" is subjective, relative & dynamic.

To me, these are not just tools. This is a journey... where you mingle with the souls of generations of blacksmiths before. Respect the knife, and it will take you places far away & inside you; disrespect her & dishonor her family... hurt you, she will. ;)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:31 pm 

WOW - feel like I should keep my Moritaka under my pillow for the first few weeks!...lol.

I got you...just wasn't sure if I had so much flexibility or not.

I won't be using it for commercial purposes or at school, etc... It will just be my main HOME knife (used every day or other day at home for meals). That is, unless I love it so much I get another JK like the Konosuke HD, etc... then 1 will come to class with me.

Should I try it for a while OOTB? Or should I re-sharpen it right away?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:33 pm 
Forum Moderator

CORP <> I wouldn't keep it under my pillow ;) ; it's a tool... to be used.

Why waste the original edge? Use it till it's dull & you can strop along the way with your Rika. When you feel it needs a full on sharpening... do it to it. You have to "just do it" to become proficient.

Like is said to all new hires in the kitchen, "sink or float..."

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]