It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:19 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: The book of steel and stone guide.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:17 pm 
Forum Moderator

I have been putting together a book on certain steels cpm154, m390, aeb-l, vg 10 and others and what stones work well in conjunction with each other. This could be a knife tested with shaptons only or a mix of what plays well with each other such as king, naniwa, choseras, nubatama and others. Does anyone think that it would be useful for others or just myself. I can't test with everything steel or stone included since I don't have them all but basically a progression that would work well with the average stone and knife collection, does anyone think it would be useful for others beside me or just keep it for myself. Just curious peace to all, jmbullman

Post subject: Re: The book of steel and stone guide.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:31 pm 

Speaking for noobs like me studying any and all information, I would find it very helpful.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:55 pm 

I think that's an outstanding idea. I was actually going to ask if anyone had compiled such a resource. Having a list of steels, typical Rc rating based on commercial heat treating or custom smith heat treating and the maximum recommended grit finish for each would be a fascinating study IMO. -Josh

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:58 pm 
Forum Moderator

Than I shall continue my writings and when its ready ill have some copies made or just put it on the website. But I think a book would be nicer, giver some time and I put something together. Peace and prosperity, jmbullman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:37 pm 

+1 I think this would be interesting

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:51 pm 
Forum Moderator

This will take a while and I have to figure the best way to be objective because what works for my might not for others but I will try to eastablish a baseline of stones and I will have to figure out a dollar amount baseline on the stones due to the fact everybody can't buy 500 hundred stones so I am going to stick with the basic affordable stone and steel. Ill figure it out. Peace and prosperity. Jmbullman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:03 pm 

Don't stay away from the expensive stones. Otherwise how can I know if the 30K Shapton Pro is really made of fairy dust?

cheers,
wm_crash, the friendly hooligan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:09 pm 
Forum Moderator

I here ya. My 30k when I pick it up I feel like a man picking up his first child every time, please don't break! Peace and prosperity. Jmbullman

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]