It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:30 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for a top of the line Nakiri
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:24 pm 
Site Admin

Hello Mark,
This is a follow up to the below thread and a phone message I left you yesterday.
I am new to Japanese knives, although I own a number of older Sabatier carbon kitchen knives.
I would like to purchase a nakiri as a Christmas present for a friend but would like some advice and insight about the numerous choices you have on your website. I am attracted to the classic / traditional, with ebony or rosewood handle and better / best quality steel. I am open to various finishes although, again, I am drawn to carbon or carbon clad. The damascus tends to be a bit 'flashy'. Having said that, I considered Konosuke HD, Takeda, Masakage (Kato san) or something in that range of appearance and quality.
Below you mentioned the Konosuke Ginsan. It doesn't quite fit my initial 'visions, but is it notably better than the above knives?
Thanks for the information.
Regards,
Mike

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for a top of the line Nakiri
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:37 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mike,
Yes I was going to call you this afternoon. Emails are actually better for me.

I think I have a good idea from your email what you want. You listed some favorites and I'll add a couple.

Here are some excellent quality carbon or carbon clad knives that you should consider.

Takeda: His knives are aogami super steel which is great stuff and clad with soft iron. His knives are really good. Good heat treatment, grinds and they have a nice hand made look to them. His shop is him and 3 other guys. I should be back in stock in 2 days on his Nakiri: http://www.chefknivestogo.com/naboas16.html

Teruyasu Fujiwara: This guy is a sword maker when he's not banging out kitchen knives and his knives have a great reputation. The ones we purchased are just what you might be interested in. Hand made and rustic finish, he uses White #1 steel and heat treats it to about 65 Rockwell and you can put a sick edge on these knives. Highly recommended. http://www.chefknivestogo.com/teruyasu-fujiwara.html

Kanehiro AS: These knives are also made by a small blacksmith and uses excellent AS steel with stainless cladding. I love these knives and they perform really well. Another rustic hand made knife:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kawa16.html

I have more but these are my first three choices for you.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Although I've never personally seen the Fujiwara nakiri that Mark linked to, if it's anything like his other blades, that would be a killer knife.

I've seen a few Takeda nakiri's and couldn't recommend against him for nothing....but if it were my money, I'd have to give the Fujiwara a ride.

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:09 am 
Forum Moderator

I have a Fujiwara Terayasu Nakiri I got many years ago from his Nashiji line. Takes a wicked edge pretty easily and cuts well! Mine has the much cheaper handle on it, which I replaced with a nicer handle, Marks already have nice handles on them! Another one to consider is the Tanaka Sekiso Nakiri. It's Damascus, but all carbon steel and not as flashy as the other Damascus steel. It's more of a layered Damascus rather than all fancy, tight patterning. I have a Tanaka KU Nakiri (cuts awesomly, but it's a bit more Rustic (rough around the edges) than some people like and a Tojiro Shirogami Ku Nakiri (better fit and finish, a little thicker) as well and they both perform well. I prefer a longer Nakiri and would suggest a Konosuke HD 180mm Nakiri! There are a few more Nakiri's out there that will work. IIRC, Tetsuhiro has a blue core, SS clad Nakiri now?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:54 pm 

My 165 Fujiwara Nakiri just showed up today from Mark.

Very sharp OTB. Perfect size for us. Very cool finish on blade. Not super expensive and it does have a nice handle I would agree.

My wife and I chopped up our salad for lunch taking turns to try it out. My 4th knife from Mark and by far the best first impression.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]