It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:15 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Carbon at work
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:34 am 

Hey guys, looking to grab my first carbon. 240 gyuto for sub 200 range. Im a bit concerned over how well it will withstand the demands of the professional kitchen, Anyone with some first hand experience care to share some insight?

Post subject: Re: Carbon at work
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

Can't comment directly, but I know a lot of chef's who use carbon in a professional kitchen.

Hopefully one of them will come along and comment directly though. :)

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

BREWN <> It is like anything else; it takes some getting used to. I find when you have to wipe the whole blade (non-clad) - it takes two hands. With a stainless clad (kanehiro, hiromoto, itto-ryu, hiromoto, masakage), you can have your wipe towel setup somewhere stationary in your station & swipe the blade edge on it with just one hand. You know how important a free hand is. If its not clad & you're in the weeds, a quick 2-handed swipe squeezing from the spine side down to the edge requires caution... extreme caution. Something that just isnt afforded in way too many weeded scenarios... if its a sick busy environment. You can do the same on a non-clad, but its just not the same when you're drying more surface area.

Good thing is when they lightly corrode, you can polish it out that night.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:30 pm 

Thanks Melampus, I guess my main concern is exactly HOW sensitive these are, being spoiled by stainless for so long I am sure in the first few weeks I am going to forget to wipe during the push. If for instance, I slice some chicken breast or what have you and forget to instantly wipe and come back to it 5 minutes or so later am I going to be punished?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

Generally not. I do a meat patina on my carbon blades (home cook only), but I have left a Blue #2 blade wet with chicken juice on the board for 10 min, washed it off, no change to the blade. When I get a new carbon knife, I cook a nice rare roast or beef tenderloin and slice it with the new knife, then lay the blade between slices of the rare meat for around 5-10 minutes, then wash. It gives a nice patina of blues, purples and golds. I dunno how this patina will hold up in a pro kitchen (the Patina's can wear off with lots of cutting), but when I left the blade for that long, it was still fine; no rust.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:19 pm 
Forum Moderator

Like Tim says, generally not. The carbon oxidation myth has been exaggerated by most's imaginations. It's not an instant thing, I mean it is at a molecular level, but to a large enough extent to do actual damage, not really. Furthermore, every steel & environment is different. I know the Tojiro Shirogami is notoriously crazy reactive, but others not nearly as much (e.g., my Moritaka, Kanehiros, Tanaka).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:08 pm 

Thanks guys, this has eased my mind alot!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:21 am 
Forum Moderator

$200 budget, 240mm knife? Tanaka Sekiso Damascus Gyuto. I got one in August and as a home cook, I have stropped it maybe 4 times; it still sticks into the cutting board when it's fresh off the strop. I've been raving about this knife since I started using it. It out cut my Nakiri, Addict2, Artifex and Kikuichi Elite Carbon on big sweet potatoes, works well for meats and carving chickens and turkey, trimming steaks, etc. It's got a great convex grind to it, food doesn't stick hard to it due to the layers of damascus being somewhat pronounced (it's more of a layered texture than a crazy damascus pattern).

I find the Blue steels to be a bit less reactive than the white steels.

There are lots of other choices out there for a 240mm carbon gyuto for around $200!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:01 am 
Forum Moderator

BREWN <> Glad to help.

TIM <> Image... I was waiting for the Sekiso reco! ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:03 am 
Forum Moderator

BREWN <> Glad to help.

TIM <> Image... I was waiting for the Sekiso reco! ;)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ]