It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:19 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: magnetic knife racks
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:50 pm 

I am thinking about a magnetic knife rack but was worried the rack could put scratches on the knives. Is this an issue or not? I am already using a wooden drawer rack but it is full and I will be getting some new knives.

Post subject: Re: magnetic knife racks
PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:54 am 

good racks can be used with sayas / sheaths. i've seen it done. that way u can hang them on the wall without worrying about scratching. but that depends on how strong the magnet on the magnetic rack though. just gotta find out which ones can.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:19 am 

Are the wood covered knife racks any good?. Currently I'm using lots of edge gaurds and sayas. Thinking about buying a cheaper one and finish with a wood veneer cover to prevent scratches. Which models seem to have the stronger magnets?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:54 am 
Forum Moderator

For the most part, magnetic racks are not going to scratch your knives as long as you don't slap them on there excessively hard or slide them around a whole lot. I would think that the blade steel is going to be much harder than any materials used in the rack. Then again, I have not used a very wide assortment of magnetic racks (3 or so) so I can't speak for all brands.

With great sharpness comes great responsibility.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:33 pm 

the cheap ones i've encountered are just two trips of metal where the magnets are contacting the magnetic rack and a plastic body. that kind will definitely scuff knives. i dunno if that kind of rack is even available elsewhere.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:58 pm 

Plumber wrote:I am thinking about a magnetic knife rack but was worried the rack could put scratches on the knives. Is this an issue or not? I am already using a wooden drawer rack but it is full and I will be getting some new knives.

Buy one where the magnets are embedded in the wood from either BenchCrafted or a custom from CKtG.

http://www.benchcrafted.com/Magblok.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:42 pm 
Forum Moderator

Or have a custom knife block made to hang on your wall:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/fbbup ... C02211.jpg

http://marrknives.com
http://facebook.com/marrknives

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]