It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:39 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Carbon Gyuto for a noob
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:01 pm 

Hi Mark,
I want to buy a carbon gyuto for home use. Not to expensive, I have about a 200 dollar budget. I haven't used a carbon chefs knife in years and don't have much confidence in my sharpening skills either. After a lot of research the knives I was considering are;
Kikuichi Elite 210
Fujiwara FKH 210
Tojiro IKT 210

I am leaning toward the Tojiro because of the Wa handle. Never used one before. It's less expensive then the rest and it will allow me to buy your sharpening kit. Most people I've talked with advised me to but the most expensive knife I can afford and I had my eye on the Masamoto HC 240. But with my limited sharpening skills I think it would be best to start with something less expensive and move up later.

I currently have a Chicago Cutlery 10" chefs knife which I have had for years. My sharpest knife is a Wustof 10" slicer so I am sure any of my three choices will be worlds away from what I am using now.

Do you have any other suggestions for me?

Thanks
Bob

Post subject: Re: Carbon Gyuto for a noob
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:57 pm 
Forum Moderator

The 240mm Kikuichi Elite Carbon was my first Japanese Knife. I still use it occasionally! Takes a wicked edge, especially off of Japanese Natural stones. The 240 had a largeish handle, which I like, but mine had some rough spots on the handle F&F wise. Some sandpaper and 10-15 minutes fixes the handle, spine and choil. I got mine many years ago, like 7 or 8 years ago, so the F&F maybe improved since then.

I had a Tojiro ITK 210mm. I found it was fairly thick where the blade grind ended and tended to wedge in harder/taller foods a bit. I reground mine completely from spine to edge, which helped, but ended up selling it because I have several 210mm's now.

Fujiwara FKH, I have played with a 270 Gyuto, 270 Suji and I have a 150mm petty here. Takes a nice edge, F&F seems better than my Kikuichi, nice and thin. Blade isn't as polished as the Kikuichi, but they work pretty dang well, especially with the low cost!

I would go with the Fujiwara :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

If you want to try a good carbon steel 210mm wa gyuto I think you should check out the yamashins. They use white #1 steel and the grinds are nice. I like them better than the Tojiros based on the grinds.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/yawh1gy21.html

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:18 pm 
Forum Moderator

Ah, forgot about those!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:17 am 

I just got a Yamashin a few days ago and I love it! The grind is great, the handle is comfortable, and the steel was extremely easy to sharpen. I don't think you would be disappointed with this knife. Sharpness ootb was fine, comparable to most knives. Knife has a rustic look. This knife was my first real sharpening experience, and it really made me hungry for more! The white #1 steel is just so easy to sharpen.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]