It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:55 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: New Japanese knife for a culinary student.
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:18 pm 

Thank you so much for the info and knife options.

Here is the bottom-line "sort of"...lol...

I want a Japanese knife with a Japanese handle (octagonal)...that I know (I went into a local store, felt and held many and questioned the owner)...unfortunately they only had Takeda's in stock of the ones I had been considering.

I used my chef's japanese Kono HD - loved it.

I did about 2 weeks of research online reading and viewing everything I could about the knives and EVERYTHING (at least 99%) kept pointing or leading to the Kono HD.

I definitely want a semi-stainless knife (at min) and that is why I haven't pulled the trigger on a Moritaka or Takeda...

I was thinking hardness about 61-63 range.

I am reading all I can about the knives and sharpening and just ordered an Edge Pro Apex 4.

I was 99% set on a Kono HD and now it seems like they will be out of stock for who knows how long everywhere and anywhere...

So that is where I am at...wait OR try something else.

Real Money Fantasy Leagues

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:26 am 
Forum Moderator

CORP <> Anything worth having is worth waiting for, but as the Funayuki & Gyuto are both in stock ready to be shipped to you... no waiting is necessary.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohdkigy24we.html
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kohd240gynew.html

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:44 am 

Only thing is I am looking for the 270mm with ebony handle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

CORP <> That is obviously preference. I will say even though 240mm = 9.5", actual Konosuke length is 9" which is = to your Cordon Bleu. Moving into the same sized Kono will be a quantum leap in knife performance. The ebony handled 240 Gyuto is in stock & ready to ship to your door. 8-) I will add that you should know ahead the ebony handles are heavier then the standard & they just feel different. If you liked your Chef's HD & it was a standard Ho, be aware the ebony will feel different. I dislike them & in fact just traded away one of my Konos due to such.

If you have to have a 270 & you have to have a HD, you have to wait. :mrgreen:

If you have to have a 270 now & you are willing to go stainless, the illustrious Suisin Inox Honyaki is in stock. I have spent many hours on the board w/this knife & there is a je ne sai quoi about that line that just feels as willing, wanting & able as an old French carbon. They are truly superb cutlery, and one of the few knives as light as the Kono. The Richmond Laser is available & brings the awesome AEB-L steel to the table although I've yet to use one to feel the forge. You can also search around for a Tadatsuna which are very similar to the Kono & Suisin.

One last idea that comes to mind & maybe not even possible is the $940 http://www.chefknivestogo.com/nu27wa.html. Their Black steel IS reactive, but from what I've heard not nearly as reactive as Whites or even Blues. Sort of like in between a full reactive & a semi-stainless. PM Ken Schwartz or Rob Babcock with questions. Edge retention is reportedly insane... on par w/M390, and the profile for sale is really flat so factor that, as well.

Image...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:15 pm 

Decided on a Moritaka KS 250mm.

Very excited and can't wait!

Thanks for all the help everyone!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

CORP <> I definitely didn't see that coming after reading your entry, "I definitely want a semi-stainless knife (at min) and that is why I haven't pulled the trigger on a Moritaka or Taeda..."

But congratulations nonetheless! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:24 pm 

Ya decided it will be fun to play with Patinas...and about time I grew up and treated my "babies" properly!

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2