It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:43 pm

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Where are all the great knives?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:37 pm 

This question is directed to you foodies out there.
I am in the insurance loss control business. I inspect restaurants all the time.
In my 18 years inspecting restaurants I wanted to make this observation based solely on my experience.
Where are all these great knives you guys buy???
Especially when I do worker's compensation inspections, the care storage and handling of the blades is always an issue.
So I have to look at what and where the cutlery is stored and used.
95 percent of the time all I see the line cooks using are commercial grade NSF knives picked up and sharpened weekly by a
sharpening service.
I saw a set of Shuns last year, the chef was nice enough to let me handle them.
That was when I decided they are overpriced, you can do better for the same money, or the same for a little less.
I have been doing this for 18 years. I have visited all types of restaurants, I just don't see the fancy hardware.
Maybe the knife rolls with the serious hardware are locked up in the kitchen office?
I could use some tips on where to look in the kitchen for the good steel. It is obviously out there. I am supposed to see it
to make sure chef is storing and handling those tools properly.
Regards,
Bob Rossi

Post subject: Re: Where are all the great knives?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:50 am 

where i'm from, most people would swipe them the moment they see a nice knife. be it your fellow cook, a server, a custodian. one just has to be wary. there are folks who'd have two sets of knives. one set they'd bring to work and one set they'd use just to show off. and then there are those few places that you would actually trust to leave your good knives around. very few places are like that.

our knives are extensions to our hands. they are our livelihood, so many times we would keep them under lock and key. and would go ballistic if anything happens to them.

=D

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:27 am 
Site Admin

I think you're seeing what's out there. Most restaurants have cooks that use the cheapest stuff possible or they offer house provided knives that are sharpened and rotated by mobil services.

The guys that do have good knives bring their knives to work in their knife bags and then take them home at the end of their shift so unless you go during service you won't see them.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:40 am 

Most guys will keep their nice knives under close control and supervision. The only places that you may find them out will be places with a very close group of guys. My customs come and go with me and when I am not using them they are locked up.

Of course kitchen knife knuts are a fairly small group of guys compared to the restaurant business world wide.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:59 pm 

I fully agree with the last two comments. First, the vast majority of kitchen workers are using NSF grade knives. Those who buy their own knives keep them under close guard. If the kitchen I work in has more then 4 people in it, I put my knives in my locker. There is too much risk of someone knocking it onto the floor, stealing it, or even just using it. After all, if they used it, they might get tempted to steal it. Those ar the facts.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:08 am 

Correction, I agree with the last three comments, besides mine. I just had a brain fart.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:36 am 
Forum Moderator

phillysco:

You need to visit the right establishment at the right time.

Come over, you may have a peek at mine......but beware....not even my wife touches my knives.....and I have a very good small blue friend - ask Mark.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:12 pm 
Forum Moderator

phillysco wrote: ...I inspect restaurants all the time.
In my 18 years inspecting restaurants I wanted to make this observation based solely on my experience.
Where are all these great knives you guys buy???

Inspect a sushi restaurant. In my travels, very few sushi Chefs use garbage cutlery. In most bistros/brasseries/grilles/etc., the odds are stacked against you. Percentage wise, the majority of cook/Chefs just don't have/use good steel, and as previously noted in this thread, most high performance cutlery will never be stored... it will be transported.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:30 am 

Nobody that wants to see their knives again will leave them at the restaurant! We always take our kits home with us, at least those of us with expensive knives. No way my Nubatama is gonna sit on the line unattended!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:37 pm 

Not at my house....for now. :D

Page 1 of 2 [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next