It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:50 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: How do you clean your knives?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:03 pm 
Site Admin

What I want in the way of a knife cleaner is something that will remove the thin layer of cloud or scum that always forms on blades. It’s especially noticeable on satin-finish blades. Even over cleaner doesn’t take it off.

I’m also looking for a Henckels Pro line 8” chef’s knife like the one I saw in Macy’s yesterday: it appears to be a stamped blade welded onto a forged shank. The main difference from all the ones on your site is that the corner of the blade isn’t bolstered—it’s sharp. That’s important for started cuts in vegetables with tough skins.

Bill

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: How do you clean your knives?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:07 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Bill,

Is it scum or is it micro scratches that are dulling the finish? I know when I use a scrubby pad on my knives it puts tiny scratches in the knife and dulls the finish.

You can do WAY better than the knife you are looking at. If you answer a few questions we can give you some good recommendations and you will have lots more fun with a much better knife.

Are you right handed?
Do you know how to sharpen?
Do you like to rock the knife or push cut primarily?
Do you want a stainless knife or would you like to try a carbon blade?
Do you want to get a western handled knife or Japanese handle?
How much did you want to spend?

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:36 pm 
Forum Moderator

BILL <> http://www.chefknivestogo.com/flmepo.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:40 pm 
Site Admin

Are you right handed? NO—lefthanded.
Do you know how to sharpen? Yes. I use a Ouachita stone very occasionally, a Furi more often and a steel always.
Do you like to rock the knife or push cut primarily? Primarily I push AND pull, depending on mood and material. When rocking, I often rock from both ends, mezzaluna-style.
Do you want a stainless knife or would you like to try a carbon blade? No objection to carbon; in fact, I have a couple, although I rely on stainless.
Do you want to get a western handled knife or Japanese handle? Prefer the shaped western handle.
How much did you want to spend? No more than $100. I realize that makes me a cheapskate but I can’t bring myself to believe that manty knives are actually worth more, although they often cost more. But that’s mostly marketing, which is taking over the business. For example, Macy;s sells almost no individual knives now, at least in Manhattan. All they have are sets, which are great for manufacturers but a bum deal for consumers.

What I like so much about the Henckels I mentioned is that it is a dead ringer for the Henckels 1731, a $450 blade designed by an Italian. It’s a beauty and looks as it will handle equally well.

As for the fog—it really is a fog, not scratches. I never use scrubbies on my blades.

I have a couple of ceramics, but don’t like them much. I’d rather CARE for my knives, so I carry the ceramics only when I travel. I usually rent apartments when vacagtioning, so you can imagine what the knives provided are like.

I’ve go to Wms-Sonoma a couple of times to handle the Shuns and similar [you don’t actually get to try them, unfortunately] but don’t care for them. Fussily over-designed. Heavy! And I don’t believe they’re damascus steel or Japanese sword steel or whatever. I’m almost certain that those lovely figures and waves on the blades are really a kind of finish, applied at end of process.

Cheers,

Bill

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:59 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Bill,

You have stumbled onto a dangerous site.

You're budget restricts the choices a bit but there are some good choices in that price range.

Here are a few good choices for you.

Hiromoto Ginsan is a little over your budget but uses excellent stainless steel and has a western handle:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/histg3gy21.html

Tojiro DP. This is one of the best value knives on the site. It's thin, hard, stainless and holds a good edge. For under $80 it's a steal. We're running though these fast and I only have 20 left. We'll be out of them in a few days and I won't have more until just after xmas.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/tojiro-dp-f-8081.html

My Richmond Artifex uses excellent stainless steel called AEB-L. If you can sharpen you can get this knife super sharp and it holds it's edge well. It's our second best selling gyuto on the site now after the Tojiro DP.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/riar21.html

I would suggest you get some good Japanese water stones and commit to them. I did a bunch of free videos on the site to give people like you some tips if you need them. You should have a rough, medium and fine grit stone and you will get much improved results. If you touch up with a rod I would suggest you use a fine ceramic one or a nearly smooth steel one. We have a cheap one called the Idahone that works well with harder steel knives.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:02 pm 
Forum Moderator

Artifex 210mm gyuto, Fujiwara 210mm gyuto, Tojiro DP 210mm gyuto are all much better than the knife you are looking at and under $100.

The wavy lines are not just a finish generally. They are the layers of steel that are welded up and sometimes shaped out and then welded over a core of a single layer of hard steel that will be what the edge is. IE, softer stainless damascus on the outside and a core of VG-10 in the middle. When it is ground, it exposes the core steel.

Some of the more expensive knives are really that much better. Better quality steel, better grind, better fit and finish, better edge holding, etc.

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ]