It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:47 am

All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: Cracked Handle?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:17 am 

I got a Tanaka Kuroichi Nakiri about 3 months ago, and noticed recently that the ferrule has become loose. Upon closer inspection, I discovered a small crack in the handle under the ferrule. It's not too bad of a crack, and don't notice the loose ferrule when I'm actually using the knife, but I figure it's only a matter of time before the crack spreads and the handle completely splits, also I'm not to keen on the sanitation aspect (I work in a pro kitchen).

So, two questions:

Is this normal? I got the knife knowing it had a cheap handle, and was planning on replacing it eventually, but wasn't expecting actual breakage.

Where to get a new handle? I probably could make my own, but with my limited time outside of work, I'd just assume buy one and install it myself. I've only been able to find handles from epic edge, it seems most places only offer installing handles. I'd rather not go the custom route, as I'd rather not spend more on a handle than I did on the steel.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Cracked Handle?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:31 am 
Forum Moderator

I may have one from my Tanaka that I rehandled. Let me check my shop in the morning when I get home and see if I can find it for you!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

I found a few removed handles I have around the shop. Do you have any way to measure the hole in the handle for a tang so I can find one that's close for you? I know the Tanaka's are kinda thick at that point in the tang.

If you want, you can put some thing Super Glue into the crack and then superglue the ferrule back on. I've done that in the past with the cheap handles until I got them re handled.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:05 am 

Sorry about the delayed response, my knives mostly live at work and kept forgetting to bring them home.

Anyway, the tang measures about 5/32 x 11/16 at the handle. Also, sorry for standard measurements!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:16 am 
Forum Moderator

Ok, I will check mine when I get home!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:42 am 
Forum Moderator

I checked both Tanaka handles I have here; the plastic got dinged up and cracked when I removed them. I will look for some other handles and see if I have any in better shape.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:06 pm 
Site Admin

If you send it back I have some handles and would be happy to install one for you. We get them when we knock them off for custom handle jobs just like Tim.

Chefknivestogo Blog

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

I checked the other handles I found. I guess I am too exuberant when I remove the handles, they all have slight dings or chips.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:45 am 

Well thanks for the effort anyway taz!

Also, thanks Mark! What kind of handle are we talking? I wouldn't mind shelling out some cash for a slight upgrade. Also, what would the turnaround be like?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ]