It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: A problem child...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:04 pm 

I've been working on this old Dexter for about a month. The first pic is from when I first got it, the second is from the latest round of sharpening yesterday. Most all of the cosmetic blemishes/rust I have worked out. The problem with the knife is that there is a distinct S curve in the blade. I've straightened it out as much as I feel comfortable, without taking it to the three point jig on my vice. The other part that is incredibly annoying in use is the .5 mm rise in the blade that shows up about four inches from the bolster.

I have sharpened it up three times in the last few days desperately trying to give it a true, flat edge with very little luck. I've brought down the rise from an initial 1.5-2.0 mm. My question is, would this rise be due to my sharpening technique? Or is this a problem with trying to sharpen a bent blade? I have literally taken the knife, flattened the blade perpendicular on an extra extra course diamond plate and started a completely new edge, thrice, and that damn rise still shows up. A plus though, I have taken out a considerable amount of the belly doing this, which is nice.

If its any help my progression is a DMT extra course, Beston 500, Green Brick, Suehiro Rika. I have put close to a mirror finish on this knife with this progression.

Just as a side note, I have to say that after using this beast for a bit, I have really come to appreciate a hard, thin knife so much more. I like this knife, but it will wedge looking at a carrot. And I'll be damned if the first inch from the bolster will never be sharpened as well as the rest of the knife, the amount of metal behind the blade there is dumbfounding. I would feel comfortable breaking bones with it.

Post subject: Re: A problem child...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:11 pm 

If the blade is bent it will never sharpen properly. If the blade has a curve then the edge needs to be ground flat to remove it then a bevel must be established.

It's not easy to remove metal in just the right areas to straighten a blade and if you do it wrong the problem can become worse.

Post subject: Re: A problem child...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:24 pm 

Jason, thank you, I think I'll just call it a day on this one and move on to the next. I really don't see any way to fix the bend in the blade...

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]