It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:22 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Help me decide between these Nubatama beauties
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:30 pm 

Glad I could help,

I will admit the stones do take some effort to use, they are professional grade stones and will take every bit of your skill to use correctly. I see that as a good thing though, makes things challenging.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:56 pm 

Hey Jason, just getting ready to fill the gap between my bamboo 1K gold and my bamboo 5K. You haven't led me astray so far! Since it's an investment for me, I just wanted to confirm that you would still recommend the bamboo 3K verses the 2K to bridge the gap, before I make the purchase. You recommeded the 3K back in september, but since our experience/knowledge increases every time we put the steel to the stone, I thought I'd ask. thanks man! - Josh

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:57 pm 

Still feel the same, the 2k can do the job but I feel its too close to the 1k and too far from the 5k. The 3k would be the ideal choice IMO.

I think its time for me to get one too :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:14 pm 

thank you my friend, I appreciate it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:21 pm 

Hey J, while we're at it, later I'll be looking to bridge that gap between my 5K and Jnat Ozuku. I think a few weeks ago when we were talking about what part of your arsenal are permanent soakers, I didn't notice anything specifically in your Nubatama collection above the 5K (obviously you have stones above 5K). If you were looking to make that jump from the 5K, would you consider the Bamboo 8K or 10K, or both? I mean, a man can never have enough stones right?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:27 pm 

I use the Han-Han. What "grit" is the ozuku and how is its cutting power?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:33 pm 

Mark/CKTG estimates the grit somewhere around 15K, which I would believe having used it now for months. I know you've said positive things about that Han-Han, tougher to get ahold of it seems.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:11 am 

I'm sure either one would be more advantageous than a 5K to 15K gap. Enjoyed a couple of your youtube vids by the way, couldn't help notice the navy/gold on one of your shirts, a fellow Michigander by chance?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:49 am 

I would probably get another natural to bridge the gap. Beyond the 5k I don't see the same performance in the stones until the 15k bamboo. I could be wrong but I think you would loose some of the natural contrast effects found with the stones you will be using. I would get a natural pre-polisher and use it after the 3k and before the Ozuku.

SE Michigan is my home :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:19 am 

I'm glad I asked, since the natural looking finishes is what I strive for. I have more and more people asking me to sharpen their steel after seeing my results, so pretty soon I'll let my hobby start to generate a little income, or at least enough to continue to fund my hobbies! Born and raised northern MI, 33 yrs, recently relocated a couple years ago but I make sure to get home at least once a year, love those great lakes. thanks again Jason, catch you later my friend.

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2