It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:02 pm

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Re-handled Artifex
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:33 pm 

I'm considering to get a re-handled Artifex, 210 mm gyuoto. However, I have a few questions about them.

Is the size of the handle larger than on the standard Artifexes?

And how to get one? Are these Artifexes rehanded (by Tim?) on an order-basis? Or is a batch done once in a while? I ask this because the one I liked (with AEB-L and a stabilized burl handle) currently seems out of stock.

Post subject: Re: Re-handled Artifex
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:45 pm 
Forum Moderator

I do the handles fatter by using thicker material, I try to get it down to around 3/8" thick before shaping or maybe a touch taller and then contour it down. The stock handles are around 1/4" at the thickest. If you want a longer handle, I can convert it to a Wa style tang and do a Western shaped handle or a Wa shaped handle (Octagon, D or Oval).

Many are out of stock currently; I am working on a bunch more for Mark this week :) IIRC, I have a 240mm AEB-L and some 210mm M390's here. Maybe a 210mm in AEB-L, but I'm not sure.

If you already have an Artifex, you can send me the knife and I can rehandle it, or you can have Mark send me the Artifex directly, or wait a week or so until some more go back in stock. Any particular wood you are looking for and blade length? I have some Maple Burl here in Brown, Natural, Black and Blue, Curly Koa, Curly Mango, Sycamore Burl, Claro Walnut Burl, etc. I have a whole box of stabilized woods here waiting!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:23 pm 

Thanks, Tim! I guess I can wait for a week...

Am I correct in describing the handles you do for (CKTG) as Western handles that are quite rounded?

I was looking for a 210 mm gyuto with a maple burl handle like on the M390 Artifex currently on the site. But a similar wood would be great as well. Is that in the bunch you're doing right now?

Although, if you happen to have it, my top wood is snakewood :-).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:10 pm 
Forum Moderator

I will check tomorrow if i have a 210mm AEB-L artifex here or not. Yes, I really round out the handles; there isn't much of a flat side to the sides of the handle and they taper down towards the tang on the bottom of the handle a bit, ie the bottom of the handle is a touch narrower than the top of the handle.

Sorry, no snakewood! The spalted sycamore burl looks like snake skin though!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:06 pm 
Forum Moderator

I checked my stash. I have 1 240mm AEB-L Artifex here and the 210mm's are all M390. I gotta put in an order with Mark, do you want me to add in a 210mm Artifex in AEB-L to the order so I have one on hand?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:54 pm 

Yes please. Spalted sycamore burl looks great! Any idea what the turn-around time would be?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:22 pm 
Forum Moderator

I will put the order in now; I will probably have the knives by the end of the week and be working on them on the weekend!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:26 pm 

Great! Thanks a lot!

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]