It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:06 am

Welcome
Welcome to chefknivestogo

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for a good petty knife.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:55 pm 
Site Admin

Hi Mark,

I'm interested in a decent quality petty knife (which might be occasionally used for boning).

Right now my top choice is the Richmond Artifex 150mm utility. Very reasonable price, and I'd like to give the AEB-L a try. Is this knife suitable for occasional boning? I know a lot of Japanese knives are not recommended for boning tasks.

I know there is also the Honesuki in the Artifiex line, though that seems like a more specialized knife, and I don't bone all that often. (FWIW, I have a Victorinox Forschner boning knife as well.)

One other under consideration is the Tojiro DP 150mm petty. Since VG-10 is known as being chippy (even if Tojior's isn't as bad as Shun's in this respect), I'm not sure if it's a great choice. Again, boning is not the primary task (I'm a home cook, BTW), but it would be nice to find a petty for utility and some boning.

Given all the above, I'd value your guidance and suggestions.

Thanks,
Todd

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for a good petty knife.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

Yes my petty will work fine for boning. If you want a good all around petty that would be a good one to try.

The honeski is a good one too and it's got a cool shape and has a one sided grind but it's more of a specialty item. It's fun to use if you're doing a lot of boning of poultry.

Chefknivestogo Blog

Post subject: Re: Looking for a good petty knife.
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:15 pm 
Forum Moderator

The Honesuki's work well for poultry, but don't work as well for meats like beef and pork boning from what I have found. The 150mm petty should work well and many use it for poultry and trimming meats and stuff, too.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ]